Generating UV's on USD mesh

bobbybob

Hi

I am trying to generate uv's on a USD scene, but I don't know how I should approach it. I would like to end up with a USD that is the same as what I started with, but with UV's. I can't wrap my head around, how to work with the geometry, without unpacking the USD to SOP level.

AFAIK, there's no getting around this, you need to generate uv's in sops.

A sop modify should let you cleanly roundtrip, so append one, dive inside, unpack, add uv's, when you jump back up to lops the stage should be identical, with the addition of uv (well, st) coords.

• Thanks 1

Not sure, you've not given much info to go on!

Whats the starting size? Ending size? Are you storing extra attributes? Is it regular usd, or usda/usd/usdz as input? How are you exporting? Have you tested on a simple box to get a sense of how it goes on a simple case, then a highish tesselated sphere? Is there animation? If so, are you creating uv's per frame unintentionally, blowing out the file size?

I've tried to cover the basics here, it might give you more context on your issues: https://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki/index.php?title=UsdGuide