My First Human Model

brucelay

I am now using Houdini to buid my first human model. Then I will try to use z-brush to enhance it.

Please feel free to give suggestions to me. Is my UV pelt working alright? I do not have much experience on it. Please give me some advice! I want to know if i am on the right direction.

post-894-1170490304_thumb.jpg

post-894-1170490319_thumb.jpg

Yeah, you are on the right way. I have to say, dont stop to work in houdini. Iam a Maya Artist for years, and i'm learning houdini, since a couple of month. And its amazing, how fast and professional houdini can be. i dont miss maya. i'm using maya sometimes only for rendering.

One little tip, order the book "The Magic of Houdini" you learn a lot from it.

bye......

But, the problem that I have is the eye and the mouth are circle in shapes. How can I solve this problem in Houdini. the attached image show the Unwrap which was done in Modo. (I downloaded this image from the net) Is it possible to have Houdini UVpelt working like this one?

Yeah, you are on the right way. I have to say, dont stop to work in houdini. Iam a Maya Artist for years, and i'm learning houdini, since a couple of month. And its amazing, how fast and professional houdini can be. i dont miss maya. i'm using maya sometimes only for rendering.

One little tip, order the book "The Magic of Houdini" you learn a lot from it.

bye......

post-894-1170779317_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

the main difference here is that this model appears to be a closed mesh, be sure your mesh is air tight before pelting, to double check lay down a divide sop and turn on remove shared edges, this will show you where the "leaks" and hopefull provide you with geo to seal them.

But, the problem that I have is the eye and the mouth are circle in shapes. How can I solve this problem in Houdini. the attached image show the Unwrap which was done in Modo. (I downloaded this image from the net) Is it possible to have Houdini UVpelt working like this one?

The only thing I can see is that you used a subdivide and got more polys. So your getting higher defined meshes around the eyes and mouth. The Modo mesh has less detail. Don't you want it smooth in these areas anyway? I see no problem.

• 5 months later...

Hey Everyone,

Make sure you pelt before you lay down a subdivide node. You will get much better results. You don't want a ton of polygons in your pelt. The unwrap will continue up the subdivisions if you do it in this manner. The houdini pelt system is certainly one of the best if not the best. You can also paint the tension on the peltmap if you go through SideFX's tutorials in the help. ;):) This of course is the extra special feature in the pelt mapping that I have not seen in any other package. ;):) There should be no reason that I can think of for not being able to do the same pelt in Houdini as in Modo. Its a good idea to break the ears out by themselves in the pelt. I did a the same thing with the eye sockets and the inside of the mouth. I love pelt mapping.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler