transfer the rotation inside the poitn deform to packed geometry

matEvil

Hi,

I try to work with grains and packed geometry. I had a simulation of grains and then connected a fragmented geometry (with assemble and packed geo checked) but my pieces didn't rotate or didn't follow the normal orientation.

Is there a way to do that?

I try also to create a normal using the Vel vector for assigned the rotation to my fracture pieces...

Thanks and have a good day
Matteo

velnormal.png

velnormal2.png

I believe the point deform node doesn't account for rotations/orientations. To be able to rotate you would need to have two vectors anyways (N and up) for example or even better: create a quaternion (orient attribute) and apply it to your pieces.

A recent tutorial i found helpful:

Hope it helps!

Best,

Jakob

On 10/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, jjakob said:

I believe the point deform node doesn't account for rotations/orientations. To be able to rotate you would need to have two vectors anyways (N and up) for example or even better: create a quaternion (orient attribute) and apply it to your pieces.

A recent tutorial i found helpful:

Hope it helps!

Best,

Jakob

ok, saw and it's very clear and nice, unfortunately, I try to apply it to grains and point deform, and seems didn't work, I want to try also to extrapolate only geo (with a for-each) and see what happens.

I can't use a copy to point because I have a lot of particles in hi-res

others ideas?

thanks
Matteo

46 minutes ago, ryew said:

From my understanding, the rotation/orientation of Grains cannot be calculated or used for instancing - at most you can have them orient to velocity which may not be useful for you in this case - see this post: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/84596/?page=1#post-365640

ok, that should be work with "Copy To Point" sops and not with point deform, I try another way for have the same fx.

thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...