Replacing low res geo RBD Bullet sim with high res geo. Wrong orientation.

Does anyone know how to replace a high res geo in a low res RBDBullet sim?

Was following the "Unlocking the Power of RBDs" tutorial by PaulEsteves Unlocking the power of RBDs and I was trying to replace the low res objects in the RBD bullet sim with their high res objects. I've tried to copy the high res objects onto the RBD bullet sim's simulation points via copy to points but it resulted in high res objects appearing with a totally messed up orientation. I've looked into the @orient attribute and quarternion stuff but I can't seem to correct the orientation of the high res objects to match that of their low res copies in the simulation. I've also tried to establish the normal direction of the packed high res geo using an attribute vop. I read that houdini would look to match the @orient attribute first than looking at the @N up of the target primitive. Couldn't find topics about matching the orientation of rbd objects used in this way.

I've attached a hip file for reference.

Would be grateful if anyone knows how to solve it.

image.gif.2d8cee53871aad015cf687062fe46898.gif 

image.jpeg.24c0de83996f341f319c86a58b0287c6.jpeg   image.jpeg.c753e0f13c9040ed52be5a6fcc71d22e.jpeg

Wrong Orientation.hip

Thanks @fencer and @Yader for the valuable help!

From my own mistake, I realise that the RBD solver interprets the randomized orientations as "rest" states and also not suing the correct attribute name. I understand how both solutions corrected the problem by either brute force with extract transform and establishing the rest states early.

Edited by hellbydante

@Yader After running the sim in the simplified version, the attribute randomize for "orient" seemed to affect the collision geometry causing some primitives to intersect. The orientation of the collision shapes are different than the incoming primitives. I've tried adding the rest node, before the RBDBullet solver but can't seem to solve it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

image.jpeg.ee6a6016f79a0e3eb797df0ba5331a65.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...