Houdini supporting Postal2?

MG

I've been quite active in the Postal2 forums lately.

For everyone that doesn't know about Postal2 yet. It's a game, being developed and published by Running with Scissors. Postal2 is going to use a heavily modified Unreal Tournament 2003 "engine." And as some of you might know, the (official) development tools of Unreal Tournament 2003 are 3dsmax and Maya (PLE). Which is also the case of Postal2.

So I was thinking. What if SideFX sponsors Postal2? It could be a great way of introducing Houdini Apprentice to the masses via the modification developers out there.

Even though I believe this won't happen, mostly because RWS (Running with Scissors) hasn't showed any interest so far (maybe with the little help of SideFX?). So, in my latest thread in their forums, I'm asking them/wondering if people (mod-developers) can create an opensource/freeware pipeline, to be able to use their favored software package. (Which is, and remains, Houdini in my case!)

What do you people think?

I think that the biggest hurdle will be to get Epic to do an exporter for houdini. At the moment they'e only got native exporters for Maya and 3DS Max.

While you can use houdini with the UT engine (I once exported a whole cube into UTeditor...ooooooo ;)) its still a little bit more difficult.

Personally I would love to see Houdini used more in games, its got the greatest setup ever, and it automatically lends itself to games. But you still have to get the engine manufacturers attention. EA is beginning to use it alot, so all we need is for them to buy Epic and we're off.. :P

Cheers

Marc

Everyone keeps constantly mentioning EPIC. I mean, what the hell is this? I thought RWS licensed the full Unreal Tournament 2003 engine. So wouldn't that give them the freedom to implement features in the engine? Or at least in the development tools?(!)

Really, if there's something I'd like to see it'd would definately be SideFX contacting RWS or vice versa. That way we would at least find out if something would be possible at all.

Or am I talking nonsense here? :(

I guess it depends on what kind of license they pay for. Last I checked there were a couple of different licenses available for the UT engine.

But still, if you consider that they're paying upwards of $250 000 (I'm fairly sure I read that somewhere once, but I can't find it again to back it up :)) for the engine, then the chances of them sinking more money into building their own exporter/editor is pretty slim.

Again you must consider the amount of people using the various packages (and their demographic). The software with the biggest market share is Maya, followed closely by Max. And the majority of users are of the young gameplaying sort. While Houdini apprentice is getting the name out there, its still going to take a while before the masses accept it as a good tool to use.

Having said all that though, you gotta carry on the fight :D. Its going to take a whole bunch of us fanatics to get people to realise what a kick-ass package this is.

l8r

Marc

One of the things that bothers me, is when I suggest/show Houdini Apprentice to someone they almost immediately say "OH GOD!! This is so hard. I hate the interface! Blah blah... blah, blah..."

I agree that Houdini is "hardcore", especially in it's creation-style and being open-ended. Oh well ...

Speaking of "battle", Marc, I have some good news! I was talking with Jeph Kneel yesterday, via AIM, and he finally got quite interested! He said he would probably let Mike Jaret-Schachter (PR/marketing) give SESI a call!

I'm quite excited! :D

Wow... that is good news. Good going there :).

Lets hope they can work out a deal and get this thing going. I would looooove Houdini to have a UT exporter. The best 3d software in the world needs to have an exporter to the best 3d engine in the world (gee, I' such a fanboy :P )

l8r

Marc B)