Meteor

marin

Hi all,

I was looking at Miguel's excellent VEX tutorial and went on from there...

This is my first attempt with Houdini, particles and RBD, things on my list to fix:

- stop the rotation of particles when on ground

- smoke noise slower and smaller (VEX)

- lower smoke $LIFE

- create RBD obj of house to fall (some bigger chunks)

I did not mean to put a camera so close to the house since this unique concrete towerblock is built with polygons :)

But I found the Meteor poster from the 1979 film so I had to put the camera there...

Contructive feedback much appreciated

/marin

Meteor_v03.mov

Nice !

I love the "feel" of it. Nice camera shake as well !

Notice that in the upper shot, the camera doesn't see the meteor as it comes to the building and hits it, we only get to see the result of the impact. Perhaps I would have the camera see a bit of the meteor before it hits...

Also, you might want to try replacing the exploding polygons with simple primitive debris.

I like the smoke trail, well done.

I feel like the shot lacks cinematic scale. What you have there is probably more realistic an impact speed but you really need to milk the drama of the shot. I would not worry what the shot looks like from the side any more - concentrate on the camera view now. Lets there be some dramatic arcing or travel through the sky before the meteor impacts. And slow the impact right down - the debris flies now as if the whole thing is 2 meters tall.. I'd slow down the impact and debris like 5 times over, just to start. Also, try to exaggerate the phases of this shot - like the meteor flight, the belching flame from the impact, then the large chunks, then raining chunk, then glass and swirling dust - then collapse the rest of the building. Tell a long dramatic story. Right now you have one phase: BOOM!!

You always have to ride on the more flambouyant and dramatic side of realism for FX work. You have too think to yourself, "Sure, this is how it *probably* would be in real life, but if nature came up with the most dramatic visual way of doing this, how would that happen?"