License Error

I got my computer (a Dell laptop running Windows XP) back from the shop after a nasty adware attack. I tried to run Houdini Apprentice, but I got a license error. I checked my license administrator, and for some reason, it was not running!

I then downloaded and reinstalled Houdini Apprentice to my Dell. When I double click on the Houdini Master icon, I get a Houdini Error dialog box that states: "License Error: Unable to connect to hserver for license acquisition". I tried turning off Auto-Protect in my Norton Antivirus but that did not work. In fact, I checked my Norton settings, and the various Houdini programs are allowed to communicate with the outside world. I checked the Installation FAQ and could not find anything that covered this problem. Any advice?

I got my computer (a Dell laptop running Windows XP) back from the shop after a nasty adware attack. I tried to run Houdini Apprentice, but I got a license error. I checked my license administrator, and for some reason, it was not running!

I then downloaded and reinstalled Houdini Apprentice to my Dell. When I double click on the Houdini Master icon, I get a Houdini Error dialog box that states: "License Error: Unable to connect to hserver for license acquisition". I tried turning off Auto-Protect in my Norton Antivirus but that did not work. In fact, I checked my Norton settings, and the various Houdini programs are allowed to communicate with the outside world. I checked the Installation FAQ and could not find anything that covered this problem. Any advice?

I had a similar problem. I solved it by uninstalling Houdini, then running a search for Houdini files (Hidden files and folders as well), then deleting the files the search found. I then re-installed Houdini, and the same thing occurred.

I did the same procedure another 2 times, then suddenly it corrected itself. How or why I don't know.

Its worth a try. :)