Smoking Can

photex

First attempt at placing a 3d object on a photo source.

The smoke is animated, but at the moment I'm focusing more on the lighting and integration.

I also want to add some leaves on the ground, and possibly another object (a sleeping bag, newspaper, and bottle of old english comes to mind).

Let me know what you think, and please don't hold back, I can take it. :) Ideally I'd end up being able to use this in my reel.

Oh yeah, the plate is just a random google image search result for "alleyway".

Thanks,

Chip

post-1155-1182395342_thumb.jpg

animate it ! ... animate it !

np! :)

Since part of the objects I want to add as well as the smoke from the canister are going to be affected by wind, I've updated the matte to remove plant life that would be moving as well. So hopefully it'll help the illusion. I'm thinking that since my matte skills are so awesome I should take what I've removed and project them onto geometry and animate them instead of just removing them altogether. Let me know what you think.

I've also added my *very* early sleeping bag and a bottle for the hell of it. Unshaded at this point.

The more I see the smoke in the can the more I realize it's missing something.

Thanks for any critique.

post-1155-1182524181_thumb.jpg

alleyway.mov

np! :)

Since part of the objects I want to add as well as the smoke from the canister are going to be affected by wind, I've updated the matte to remove plant life that would be moving as well. So hopefully it'll help the illusion. I'm thinking that since my matte skills are *not* so awesome I should take what I've removed and project them onto geometry and animate them instead of just removing them altogether. Let me know what you think.

I've also added my *very* early sleeping bag and a bottle for the hell of it. Unshaded at this point.

The more I see the smoke in the can the more I realize it's missing something.

Thanks for any critique.

Hi photex,

First, it's hard to tell if you have the correct lighting direction. This in turn makes the smoke's shadow seems wrong.

Next, smoke doesn't diffuse that much. If you google for "smoke column" images, you'll see how smoke behaves. The smoke seems to disappear too soon, maybe make it live longer?

One more thing, if there's fire in the can, I would expect to see some interactive lighting from it.

Cheers!

steven

I think the scale of objects in relation to each other and the scene is not quite right - the bottle is too big and the can is too small.

Yes, I admit I tossed them in there fairly haphazardly and just scaled up the bottle and sleeping bag. If anything it was just to have something there while I had them in my mind.

Here is another go... one of which I just realized I placed the bottle under the logo :)

post-1155-1182539609_thumb.jpg

Hi photex,

First, it's hard to tell if you have the correct lighting direction. This in turn makes the smoke's shadow seems wrong.

Next, smoke doesn't diffuse that much. If you google for "smoke column" images, you'll see how smoke behaves. The smoke seems to disappear too soon, maybe make it live longer?

One more thing, if there's fire in the can, I would expect to see some interactive lighting from it.

Cheers!

steven

right, I was going for a smoldering instead of a burning. Similar to these, I do need a lot of work on the smoke still:

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/outdoor...rnbarrelpic.jpg

http://www.co.forsyth.nc.us/environmentala...rel_burning.jpg