Manually Cut A Geometry In Pieces???

cherm

Hi DOPs people,

I am just about to prepare my broken ground for my wires to break through (check my post history at http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=5611).

The thing is that I want to design shapes of my chunks or pieces myself, so I think (correct me if I'm wrong) I will create a grid and polysplit my grid in pieces the way I want by hand and polyextrude them. But the thing is that I don't know how to make all the chunks seperate. Can anyone tell me what's the best way to manually cut a geometry in chunks? I know that cookies can do it, but it's too heavy. I tried Fracture SOP downloaded from sidefx as well, but it's not that easy to control.

Also, I did follow Miguel's brokenground thing, and I tried to adjust the shapes of the chunks, but i just couldn't get the shapes I wanted; all the chunks look too procedurally organized to me.

Thanks a million in advance

Hi, the manually cutting is working just fine, but it's just time consuming. Anyways, I did some tests in DOPs with my broken geometry, and it worked fine except the gravity. I piped the gravity after the RBD Fractured Object (my broken ground), but the chunks seemed to fall right after the first frame. How can I make some particular chunks which are hit by the wires fall according to the gravity? I want the other chunks (not hit by the wires) stay at rest. I am sure that I made a very stupid mistake; that's why it's not working correctly :(

I have attached the hip file and the .mov file for you to see in order to illustrate the problem.

post-2528-1185835243_thumb.jpg

TestDynamics.hip

TDynamics03.mov

all helps appreciated. thanks in advance

cherm

Edited by cherm

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's so cool. To be honest, I tried that VEX Dented too, but it messed up my top primitive texture. How did you orderly apply the texture? Did you apply the UV project first for the top primitives and then pipe another UV texture in for the VEX Dented shader after?

I didn't applied UVs in SOPs to any primitive. The asfalt was done procedurally and the upper part with the camera projection using a VOP shader using rest position.

The thing is my case if a bit different from yours. My shot is not steady like yours; it's hand-held camera tilted....

So I don't think I can do the camera projection thing (correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes you can project from an animated camera. Make sure your 3d camera matches that of your backplate. Once the 3d camera is tracked properly it should just be a matter of using your backplate sequence to project through your animated camera.

Yes you can project from an animated camera. Make sure your 3d camera matches that of your backplate. Once the 3d camera is tracked properly it should just be a matter of using your backplate sequence to project through your animated camera.

Thank you SpencerL. I will try it. hopefully it's gonna work out fine ;).