Sherif.Nagib

Rigging A Horse

Hey guys,

coming from XSI to see what Houdini's got to offer.. :)

So, I was trying to rig a horse using the Quadruped Autorig, and I'm stuck with what to do with foot/toe. For as you know, horses don't have multiple toes like cats and such. My concern is, what do I do with the extra toes I've got ?.. I tried to delete them from the rig guide but that didn't work, do I just push them aside or have them aligned with my middle/main toe or what ?

I just don't wanna do anything that would screw up the skinning/weighting process afterwards.

cheers !

EDIT : guys I have another question:

Isn't there any foot-roll controller ?.. You know.. the one that peels the foot of the ground, such as in Biped Rigs. I can't seem to find this one although I know it's essential and it should be there !

Edited by Sherif.Nagib

if you dig inside there should be options for number of toes/fingers etc...

You can basically do whatever you want with them. Once you generate the animation/deform rigs you can just choose to hide the controls and not weight to the bones.

Sounds like a few nice presets would be a cool thing for SESI to make? Or for users to upload to the Exchange?

Or for users to upload to the Exchange?

I vote for that because I'm too busy to make any other sort of preset things :)

there should be options for number of toes...if not on the autoRig itself then on the olts inside..

We don't currently have variable amounts of toes. It's either 4 or 5. If you need more or less it's not hard to create your own part that works with the auto rig tools.

Thanks for all your answers !

Michael : I can't find it, I tried searching the otls inside, there's the usual 4/5 fingers choice, but I can't take it down to one !

Hammy : Thanks.. I was thinking of the same thing about not weighting. I'm still new to houdini, so I'm just trying the autorigs for a start. But since you've mentioned it, are there any helpful resources that you'd suggest for learning about rigging in Houdini ?

Yeah Hammy ! I'm actually following this tutorial while rigging the horse, that's a very good one.

-----

Now I have anotehr question guys :

Isn't there any foot-roll controller ?.. You know.. the one that peels the foot of the ground, such as in Biped Rigs. I can't seem to find this one although I know it's essential and it should be there !