Export Obj Problem

Hi guys,

I am trying export obj files (a basic bouncing ball animation with 10 frames as a example) from houdini to maya, but something very strange is happening, all obj file has the same data (same vertices, same faces, etc), I did not notice any diference between them, seems the houdini exported only the frame 1 of may animation.

So, when I imported them in Maya, every file was loaded in origin, doesn

If you are animating a ball in OBJ level but exporting in SOP level, you won't have an animation at all. Is this your case?

What you can do is:

- use a Geometry ROP to export your ball with world transformation

- or create a new object. Add Object Merge SOP and import your ball with it. Add "." (dot) in transformation object field (the very first field in SOP - I can't check now its name). Now you can export your ball with world level transformation.

hope this help,

sy.

unfortunately in maya you have to write a mel script to read in the objs and then use blend shapes to animate between them....I believe that there is a script on highend3d called objMorphSequence.mel or something like that.

I found the script...you can find it attached to this mail

Best :)

objMorphSequence.mel.gz

objMorphSequence.mel.gz

• 2 months later...

Sorry, I was wrong or something has changed recently (don't think though) :( .( Hmm, I think I checked it before posting..) Geometry ROP saves also SOP level Geo. Still you have a second method.

Edited by SYmek

I am not sure if this is world transformation, but this works for me:

create a new geometry at obj level, inside create an object merge, assign the correct object, but set the transform setting to: "Inside This Object".

I am not sure if this is world transformation, but this works for me:

create a new geometry at obj level, inside create an object merge, assign the correct object, but set the transform setting to: "Inside This Object".

Yes, this is world transform and the second option I mentioned.. I wonder how this would happen that Geometry ROP worked as I expected once...