Demo reels; what do you want to see

Mcronin

OK, so I've decided to get off my butt and do something about getting a decent job; preferably at a place that's using Houdini. This means the stuff I did for my old reels in games just isn't going to cut it anymore. I've started out making a new reel, all with Apprentice, and the bulk of it is character work. I want to make sure the reel is appropriate for a place like D2 or Sony, and I don't think a reel of 4 or so characters is exactly appropriate.

Most reels I see are shorts, but I was thinking about making something a bit different. Someone has suggested that creating networks in Houdini that do interesting things might be a good way to go, and I'd also like the opinions of people who are working with Houdini professionally. What could someone put in a reel to impress you? What do you look for in a candidate?

I'm hoping to get some solid advice here beyond the typical, "no spaceships", "no techno", "keep it to about 2 minutes", responses. I'm hoping to hear something to the effect of "When I see <this> on a reel, I know this guy is worth talking to." "When I see <this> on a reel, it goes right into the garbage." Maybe you've thought of something you've never seen on a reel before that you know would grab people's attention.

Also, does anyone watch reels with sound on? Everyone puts music on their reels, but it occurred to me that the reel is a great way to talk to the potential employer before the interview. I'm thinking about doing a running commentary on the reel where I explain exactly what I did in each piece. Is that a bad idea? Does anyone do this? Should I be going for a clean/polished hard sell with music and editing and all, or would a sort of behind the scenes kinda reel, be interesting?

Any advice you guys can provide would be immensely appreciated.

probably depends on what kind of job you want, but from what I can tell, for a houdini type job, critical thinking is a big selling point, especially from students or other people with no practical experience. So anything that shows off a really cool idea, or if you use old tools in a new way to achieve something neat. That seems to get their attention. I wouldn't do a talking commentary, because chances are they're not going to hear it, but a quick explaination might be good. Be sure to submit a shot breakdown with your reel, where you briefly list what you did, and if you worked on a piece with someone else, be sure to point out what exactly was your contribution (this is actually a pretty big deal).

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

I can't talk about a Houdini specific reel...(I'd be interested in people's opinions about that as well)...but for reels in general:

first a note about the way in which we view reels:

our studio is pretty small - we maxed out at about 20 people last year - so we don't have an HR/recruting dept, when a reel comes in the mail we get all excited and during lunch we sit down and watch them while eating...in other words VERY informal...the bad ones go into the garbage right then and there, the ones we want to look at again go into piles - 'yes', 'maybe', 'keep - because it's so bad :) '

1) the thing that bugs me the most about the reels I've seen is that it is very often hard to figure out what the person wants to do...

are they a modeler?, animator?, are they showing us textures?, compositing?...what?

while it is nice to see for eg: an animators reel that shows, at the end, a bit of modeling or whatever, but if you are an animator - show animation, no one cares about your models...the classic flour sack exercise should have clued people in to that fact...

the same goes for modelers...why is there sooo much animation on a modeling reel?....granted - if you're doing charcter modeling it's a good idea to show that your models can be animated, that they can deform correctly etc...but there isn't any need to contrive some kind of narative just to show off a model...and it doesn't improve a crappy model.

If you're confident enough in your skills to apply for more than one type of job - I'd say make a reel showcasing your skills in each area...more work for you but better for the studio to evaluate...

2) something I like seeing from a reel is that it has been made with the right viewer in mind...if I'm looking to hire someone I'm not watching their reel for entertainment value I'm evaluating their skills...

3) sound/no sound....it's a toss up...I'd say put something nice, something that isn't distracting. One good idea is to watch your reel with and without sound to see how it 'plays' ....the viewer should get the same info both ways....

putting in a running commentary is a great idea, something that one of our guys did to demo a rigging system that he wrote...it might be a good idea to put an on screen note when it starts to indicate that there is a commentary there, just in case it is being viewed without sound.

4) a nice reel is...well..nice....but I don't think you have to do some kind of music video style, slick presentation (unless you're looking for compositing/motion graphics work). simple and clean, get in - get out.

5) no shorts please...don't make me suffer through your art just to show me a bit of character animation or a few nice models...throw it onto the end of the tape and if I want to I'll watch it...

6) shot breakdown is super important...anakin78z said 'briefly list what you did...' but I'd be OK with a detailed description, I can just skim it or read it through - again I'll have the option.

I'd have to say that ALL of the reels I've seen are from modelers or character animators, I've seen one or two texturing reels....but I've never seen a TD reel, or an FX animator's reel...so I really don't know about that (whick kinda sucks as that's the kind of reel I'm trying to make...).

hope this helps....

Thanks for taking the time to post such lengthy replies.

I'm glad to see that at least some people reviewing reels don't expect to see, and possibly prefer not to see shorts.

You guys seem split as to whether doing a commentary is a good idea... My thinking is, if I use music, no matter what I choose, the viewers will make assumptions about me based on my taste in music. I know it sounds stupid, but I find myself doing it. Basicly any music I chose can possibly have a negative influence on someone viewing the reel, and having a mute reel I don't think is a good idea either. I thought it was a good idea to do the commentary because you have this person's attention. Might as well introduce yourself and give them a good clue as to what you actually are like rather than let them make assumptions based on your taste in music.

The thing that does bother me about reel content is focus. I enjoy modeling, I enjoy animating, and I enjoy solving problems; being given a task and then figuring out *how* to do it. Right now the stuff I'm putting together has no focus. I have one character model, one character model with animation, some lipsync, an effect, and some compositing. There's no focus. Would it really be bad to submit a reel like this? Is it possible you would look at a reel that's all over the map and say, "Well, his work isn't focused, but he clearly knows something... We could use him for this." I mean do I have to be very specific about the type of work I want to do? I really just want to work, period.

Also, I see some reels, and they are just a barage of professional work that are clearly the work of an entire studio. I mean, some of these reels have like 100 cuts in 2 minutes. I don't have anything like that; I can't compete with that. Do you think 4 or 5 quality, but not professional pieces, are enough? Honestly I'd like to get this thing done in a matter weeks. I don't have months to labor over making something that can compete with an entire team of artists.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice because, honestly, the bar is very low, for what's required of a reel in games. I feel like much more is expected of a artists working in film or television, and more still for artists using Houdini. Keep the advice and ideas coming. They are very helpful.

'I feel your pain...'

In the past week or so I've collected all the work that I've done and I'm currently picking my shots etc...

but it's much like yours...I've got modeling, animation, texturing, rigging, binding, FX, rendering, compositing.....because the TDs here have been 'jack of all trades', rather than doing one task....

I'd like to get into FX animation, but I really don't have much of that to show...so do I go with an unfocused reel in the hopes that if I were applying for an fx animators position the person viewing it would be able to spot whatever ability I have?...I hope so, but I really don't know :blink:

I think it really comes down to > what kind of work do you want to do?

if I saw a reel with a variety of work on it I would judge it on it's merits...but if I was looking for an animator I'd pick the person with the best animation skills > and the best way to show those skills is to have a focused reel, IMO. catch22 I guess...

re: pro reels with a 100 shots...

that's what the shot breakdown is for...we got a reel once from a guy that had done a whole bunch of work for ILM - I mean TONS of work...so you can imagine the quality of the shots on his reel!...but he was an animator and his shot breakdown was very clear about what characters he animated etc...so it was easy to see just his work, and judge accordingly.

re: music

I think once you have picked the shots for your reel you may find a piece of music that fits the overall tone of the work...so that would be fine I think...

Ahhh...Demo reels.... For anybody who wants to know what happens to your demo reels once you send them to a studio, let me show you.

:ph34r:

demoA.jpg

demoB.jpg

[sorry about the photos, good modelers != good photographers :P]

Every six months some friends and I take all the old demo reels and relax "redneck fashion". ^_^

Anyway to add some constructive input, I can't stress how important shot breakdowns are. I've seen some people include with their shot breakdowns samples of their workflow: Starting with sketches, then a model sheet, to photo's of clay then to CG. It wasn't necessary but it was nice to see the artist's creative process at work.

Oh... for people who are just starting the demo reel game, this may sound very very very very dumb.....but put your contact info. on the demo reel tape. Things can get messy when watching a bunch of demo reels, and on more than one occasion we couldn't place a good reel with an artist's name. :(

jim.

Hiya

The suggestions so far are good - I'm adding a couple thoughts.

You mentioned "I just want to work". Well, for yourself you must answer the questions - where do you want to work? And on which type of project? Small place? Big place? What tool is used at said facility for said type of work? Do you know? If the department at a studio is used to using software B for a certain task, will they want to hire you even though you completed that type of task in software A on your reel? How can you make their production life better? What are you offering to them so that they just HAVE to hire ya?

Like you, the people hiring you just want someone who can work. They're going to make a hire that fits most easily with the team and project for which they might be hiring at that time. I'd suggest you know very well, where and how you want to work, and then research the possibilities, and tailor your submissions to those requirements (both yours and the studio to which you apply). Ideally, you have prepared your presenation as clearly and effectively as possible for the folks deciding on the hiring. You may be the king at one place and not fit at all somewhere else, simply because of timing or team fit. So find out as much as you can about these places you are trying to work. The more you know, the better you can position yourself. Sometimes it may take some research, introductions, time, revisions and persistence to find the right place at the right time for you.

There's definately a need for smart and talented Houdini artists. Define your skillset, personality and then find where you can jump in and make a contribution and go do it to it! B)

Val