Applying Forces to Paricles

agitat3d

Hi All,

I am currently designing a erosion sim within Houdini where a piece of geometry is represented by a volume of particles then is slowly eroded by removing particles from the volume . I have put together the basic set up and am now looking into controlling the particles once they have been removed. Ideally I would like the particles to act as if they have been sucked into a tornado or some kind of swirling wind. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on how I could achieve this effect of something similar?

Thanks,

J

Use a metaball with a forceSOP attached to it, and mess with the settings for radial/directional ect, ect. Keep in mind using metaballs that the centre of the metaball will have a different effect to the outside, as the metaball is a "Area of influence" which degenerates the further you get from the centre.

Use a metaball with a forceSOP attached to it, and mess with the settings for radial/directional ect, ect. Keep in mind using metaballs that the centre of the metaball will have a different effect to the outside, as the metaball is a "Area of influence" which degenerates the further you get from the centre.

Here is an example of the type of effect im trying to achieve:

Hand animation test: http://www.franticfilms.com/software/suppo...ess_gallery.php

Is more of a layered particle explosion. Any advice on how to make the particles look good for rendering would also be of interest.

Many Thanks

Here is an example of the type of effect im trying to achieve:

Hand animation test: http://www.franticfilms.com/software/suppo...ess_gallery.php

Is more of a layered particle explosion. Any advice on how to make the particles look good for rendering would also be of interest.

Many Thanks

idk if this helps, but a buddy of mine did a similar project with a statue "blowing away"

first he made his model obviously, then we made a group controlled by bounding box... that bounding box was controlled by an expression... as the box moved to incorporate the particles we had a force that also was driven by an expression... so the particles would attract to the metaball and on contact a collision had them die on contact... once i get home ill throw the HIP file up here... but heres a link to the video...

hope this helps

also as for the rendering... on the bottom of your particles throw a point node on there... in the node thre is a particle tab... there is one called velocity... multiply x y and z and allow for motion blur... the stream they leave behind gives a very nice fluid look...

also as for the rendering... on the bottom of your particles throw a point node on there... in the node thre is a particle tab... there is one called velocity... multiply x y and z and allow for motion blur... the stream they leave behind gives a very nice fluid look...

Thank you for the response. HIP would be interesting to look at : )

Thank you for the response. HIP would be interesting to look at : )

i cant find the damn HIP from the blowing away... but ill see the kid whos project that was for, and he should in fact have the HIP... heres mine though... this was for the same Intro project, particles in just about anything... if you look at the bottom of all of my popnets there is a Point... thats for the motionblur... check it out... (sorry for the mediafire, i cant upload HIPs on here?)

http://www.mediafire.com/?ddp9zf9ntyy

ps dnt mind the HIP if its ugly... first houdini particles ever...

video reference:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l_C8FdFY8WY

2vbo4rq.jpg

If you use the Fast Reply button, you won't have access to the Attachment feature. After typing your reply in the Fast Reply box, click on More Options.

@agitat3d: Search the forum for the "bamf" thread.

Koul thread. Thanks for the tip stevenong!

Dam people are helpful on this site :D