Houdini and realtime soulutions

Is it possible (and as it been implemented somewhere) to create realtime content with houdini - like scoreboards in TV shows for example.

I starded wondering why else is there a keybord inmput CHOP?

If it is possible maybe there are some nifty examples about that...

ya know, just wondering

-Kaspar

Is it possible (and as it been implemented somewhere) to create realtime content with houdini - like scoreboards in TV shows for example.

I starded wondering why else is there a keybord inmput CHOP?

If it is possible maybe there are some nifty examples about that...

ya know, just wondering

-Kaspar

In theory, I bet it is! But actually getting it live on TV, I'm not sure. Well, I again think Houdini would be capable to... but I can't tell, since I've never heard of nor seen Houdini do such a thing.

The keyboard input CHOP is excellent for real-time stuff, but it can be used for a very wide kind of uses. For example: montioncapturing, triggering etc.

You do know about Touch 013 right?

And this has very little to do with what he has just asked... <_< Besides, Houdini is capable of doing a lot that Touch does, with or without the extra effors (and tools; in the case of Touch). It's just less oriented towards real-time shows. (* And literally, the "real-time" aspect *).

Check out this link:

IDC

I came across it when I was using Houdini to produce music visualisations. It shows how Houdini has been used to produce real time club visuals, with inputs coming from various sensors. Check out the "Live 3D Techniques" section for some pointers on producing real time animation using Houdini.

I looked into this a bit for the project I was working on, but eventually decided to render my animation, due to limitations in the quality of the visuals which are possible to run real time using Houdini.

Anyway, hope this is of some use,

Jon

OK, I have been playing with chops and it is one powerful system for realtime FX, but is there a nice way to export the viewport to PAL video? :ph34r:

At the moent I just export a part of my screen as video ... must be an easyer way if not on XP then on IRIX? Linux? ;)

Anyhow if seen something like that would be much aprichated...

-Kaspar

BTW for some phunky reason - maybe I am doing something wrong as usual :blink: , but when I apply a shader to an object and use texture map then in VEX works OK but in OpenGL there are some flickers and thats it!? Running XP & GF4 TI4600.

the common solution is buying a decent scan converter and use it's controls to crop out everything but the 3d viewport. Some accept very high res like 1600x1200 and also let you choose a region to output.

I don't have such a videocard but there's a chance you don't need to buy anything if your card can drive two screens. Use a tv as the second screen, in houdini copy your 3d viewport pane and drag it to the second screen (tv). Maybe a bit of overscan so that the viewport margins are not visible on the tv.

in a perfect world you'd have both a dual head vga and the scan converter.

EDIT: just read you have a geforce4, that one shoud be able to drive a monitor and tv independently.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Been tring lots of stuff including TOUCH 013 or wathever the ver was - it seems to be castrated houdini with on screen CHOP <_<

Is there a way to use alpha on vex shaders in realtime, I have been tring anything but no transparency...

On open gl when I import a tiff it uses 16color scheme - not very nice for brodcast graphics... any ideas?

moronic fan of houdini

-Kaspar