fluids smoke effect

tony

Hi. I am trying to create a smoke effect in houdini with fluids, but the quality of the smoke I am getting out seems to be really poor. It looks really blocky. Is there a sampling rate option I am missing for this or some other way I can get it to look smoother?

Here is what I have so far:

post-3790-1209647444_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of things to affect that quality of smoke:

1./ The resolution of your smoke volume itself (50x50x50, for example)

2./ The Mantra ROP has a parameter: Properties> Sampling> Volume Z Step (or something) which determines the z-resolution when rendering. This value needs to be set depending on the size of Volume object in your scene.

Of course if your Smoke Volume is low resolution you'll never get it to look nicely detailed (without some very fancy tricks).

Guest Swann
If you click on Edward's link, it won't work unless you already have the Help browser started from Houdini.

Cheers!

steven

Now it works, and I don't have houdini browser open.

Nevermind, I thought that this is some new info, and it's standard houdini help.

Now it works, and I don't have houdini browser open.

Nevermind, I thought that this is some new info, and it's standard houdini help.

You don't need to have the Browser open, you just need to start the help server. After it is started, you can close the Help Browser & copy and paste http://localhost:48626/ into Firefox instead.

Cheers!

steven