RBD Glue from FBX

Rudinie

Hi everyone,

after lurking around here for sometime i would like to ask a question about making a RDB Glue object out of FBX imported geometry.

In Max i fractured some geometry into a lot of individual meshes and i've exported this using FBX.

In Houdini i imported it and so far so good. If i select all geometry objects and convert them to RBD Objects, add a groundplane, and play, it works as expected, pieces of geometry start falling apart.

I would prefer to use RBD Glue object so the falling apart doesn't happen before significant impact. The RBD Glue object however uses geometry primitive groups and my geometry is just geometry, no groups. To put every single geom into it's own group manually is too much work for hundreds and hundreds of geom nodes. So my question: Is there an easy or faster way to create a individual group node for every geom node in my fbx network so i can use the RBD Glue object for my FBX imported geometry?

Please be kind as i am pretty new to houdini. Allthough i find it quite difficult, i really enjoy trying to learn it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for helping me in the right direction.

have a look at the Partition SOP

Thanks Michael for your fast reply.

I ended up selecting all geom nodes and use "combine" from the modify shelf (to merge all objects into one node) and then i added the connectivity node and the partition node. Now it's working like i want, great!

Thanks again for helping me out.

Kind regards,

Rudi

• 2 weeks later...

The whole FBX importing thing is giving me another issue now. It hard to describe but it looks like this, see attached file.

I thought an edge-cusp would solve this but unfortunatelly it doesn't. Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Again.

Thanks in advance.

post-3769-1213091233_thumb.jpg

It's hard to tell without seeing the geometry but try to remove any "N" attribute first. Also, with the Facet SOP, you can do "Orient Polygons" and set the Cusp Polygon value to 20 or less.

It's easier for everyone if you can post an example. :)

Cheers!

steven

It's hard to tell without seeing the geometry but try to remove any "N" attribute first. Also, with the Facet SOP, you can do "Orient Polygons" and set the Cusp Polygon value to 20 or less.

It's easier for everyone if you can post an example. :)

Hi Steven,

thanks for your reply. I've attached a rar file with the letter N fractured in Max, exported to fbx. This is the geometry i used. The strange thing is that if i open up the file in Max and render there, i get nice clean and straight surfaces. In Houdini i get to see all edges like you could see in the first image i attached earlier.

I tried the facet Sop like you said but that didn't help unfortunatelly. I don't understand what you mean with "removing any "N" attributes". Could you please explain this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

Rudi

N_fractured.rar

Hmmm haven't looked into your file - doing a render atm - facet sop - did you try the cusp edges?

Also, to remove attributes, use an Attribute SOP. N is usually a point attribte, so goto the point attribute tab of the Attribute SOP, at the very bottom is the field for deleting attribs, put N in there, Middle Mouse Button (MMB) on the sop to check that it's gone.

GW

YESSSS, i've got it!

The solution is a combination of a facet node and the deletion of the N Vertex attribute in an attribute node.

I would have never ever found that without your help, so thanks a million guys!

Wow, i'm happy! Now i can start breaking up stuff in Max with a lot of ease using the pbFracture maxscript and export to fbx, import in Houdini and use these chunks in a RBD solution. Again: very happy, and thanks!

Rudi

To give an impression of the results it gives:

http://www.thing.nl/fractures_compressed.mov

What would be even cooler is if i could get some of the "chuncks" to start breaking even more on ground-impact but for that i think i would have to make different glue-objects with different glue-strenghts right? Or is there a way to make a group of chuncks within the glue-object have a tighter glue-setting?

I have to look into this but so far i'm very happy with the stuff i'm learning.