Better than Final Fantasy Advent Children style of lighting and render

kensonuken

Hi friends I have a situation where i need to render out a quality like final fantasy Advent Children. What is the workflow..

I know one thing for sure is that there is a ambient occlusion and the key lights are heavily blured. Anybody has new approaches or certain things to consider before I start to work on such output?

I want to render out Ambient occlusion using Point clouds as one pass

Can anybody recommend me the pixel filer settings or anything as such... like how many samples do i need to take in the render globals?

is 3 x 3 with sinc filter sufficient?

do i need to go till 8x8... does it makes difference? and feasible?

please guys recommend me how to get the look exactly like Final fantasy Advent children..

thanks,

Ken

For a "blurred look", I've always had fun doing this with images in compositing:

- Blur the image

- Composite (COP) the blurred image on top of the original, switch the Operation parameter from Over to Screen.

but i have a doubt after seeing that movie. Is ambient occlusion is just mathematically added to the key passes or any other way to use the amb occ passes. When I try to add in my system it looks like washed out. what could be the problem?

Isn't occlusion typically multiplied in?

Pardon me, but I noticed you said you wanted to use a sinc filter? Doesn't that give you negative values? Why sinc not say Gaussian? Sinc seems very harsh on the edges imo.

I'd love to find out what kind of filters you guys are using when rendering in Mantra.

I'm with Allegro. AO passes are multed on top.

GW

Attaching an image sampled using the sinc filter. I think Catmul-Rom also exhibits negative values. I only noticed this really when I moved to shake/cops for compositing - back when I was on 3dsmax/after effects, I did render some of my stuff using Catmul Rom. The compers didn't complain so.... That was 8 bpc compositing so I think it clips between 0/255?

GW

post-1921-1213088732_thumb.jpg