falling sheets

MENOZ

hello, how can i achieve this effect in houdini?

this simulation is made using maya ncloth. look how the sheets sweeps around.

how can i set up this simulation in houdini?

if i just make a cloth object and add gravity i have no hair resistance of any kind, and the sheets falls down like briks.

thanks alot

fallingSheets.mov

I haven't really used cloth but this applies to DOPs in general. Check to make sure the mass of the cloth is correct. The defaults might make the cloth weigh as much as a brick. :) In addition to gravity, make sure you add a Drag DOP as well. One other thing to try is to put down a Noise DOP & connect it to the green input of the Gravity DOP.

Please keep us posted of your progress!

Cheers!

steven

i've tried with these nodes yet, but the problem is i haven't any kind of hair resistance, so if the sheet is rotated say 45 degrees it will fall straight down with no care of the shape, instead it should fall sideways.

From what I recall about nCloth is that by defaut is has a bunch of forces and real world scale values all plugged in to look nice, like Air and Turbulence, thickness, denisty, friction, etc...

Not to rag on Maya, but I think that's one of the reasons Maya does so well, it looks really good out of the box, that it's really easy to get complex looking effects with a small number of clicks. Demos are on of Maya's great strengths.

I've looked a little and found a demo blog for nCloth. Here's a good place to start spying:

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_d...rs_with_ncloth/

Edited by kleer001

From what I recall about nCloth is that by defaut is has a bunch of forces and real world scale values all plugged in to look nice, like Air and Turbulence, thickness, denisty, friction, etc...

Not to rag on Maya, but I think that's one of the reasons Maya does so well, it looks really good out of the box, that it's really easy to get complex looking effects with a small number of clicks. Demos are on of Maya's great strengths.

I've looked a little and found a demo blog for nCloth. Here's a good place to start spying:

http://area.autodesk.com/index.php/blogs_d...rs_with_ncloth/

i don't think tha maya ncloth is a bunch of noise forces with good presets.

it has a parameter called air density, that does exactly the resistance to the air, so the cloth can "slide" over it.

this is my hip file. is there something i miss?

menoz_sheets.hipnc