How do I get obj's velocity in Vop Vex Surface?

Hi all,

I have an animated character and he kicks and punches.

I would like to get the character's prim velocity or point velocity in vop vex, so I can multiply it to opacity.

What I am trying to do is faster velocity area gets high opacity and lower velocity area gets low opacity.

Here is the set-up I have done for now..

What should I add to it?

Thanks a lot! :lol:post-3325-1217547675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jae Yoo

Hi all,

I have an animated character and he kicks and punches.

I would like to get the character's prim velocity or point velocity in vop vex, so I can multiply it to opacity.

What I am trying to do is faster velocity area gets high opacity and lower velocity area gets low opacity.

Here is the set-up I have done for now..

What should I add to it?

Thanks a lot! :lol:post-3325-1217547675_thumb.jpg

Do you want to drive the refraction intensity (Kt) with the magnitude of the velocity? Or do you want to blend two materials - glass and something else based on the magnitude of velocity?

Do you want to drive the refraction intensity (Kt) with the magnitude of the velocity? Or do you want to blend two materials - glass and something else based on the magnitude of velocity?

Hi, Jason.

Refraction strength and opacity value.

Thanks,

Hi, Jason.

Refraction strength and opacity value.

Thanks,

Okay, take a look at this simple example. I've driven three shaders by the 'v', which I've calculated in SOPs with a Trail SOP.

Mixing shaders, ramping off Kt, and fading off the object (by reducing Of and Cf by the v magnitude).

The Fit Range VOP in there is just to map the v magnitude to a decent 0-1 range. This will vary a lot based on your scene and your needs.

drive_material_by_v.hipnc

post-4-1217549910_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, take a look at this simple example. I've driven three shaders by the 'v', which I've calculated in SOPs with a Trail SOP.

Mixing shaders, ramping off Kt, and fading off the object (by reducing Of and Cf by the v magnitude).

The Fit Range VOP in there is just to map the v magnitude to a decent 0-1 range. This will vary a lot based on your scene and your needs.

Hi, Jason.

Thanks a lot!

I got one more additional question,

My animated character seems like it does not have big difference between the faster area and the slower area.

I mean, there is difference between them.. but Its really slight.

Is there any way to exaggerate the value like smaller value 1 -> 1.324 and stronger value 10 -> 223.34?

Thanks,

-j

Hi, Jason.

Thanks a lot!

I got one more additional question,

My animated character seems like it does not have big difference between the faster area and the slower area.

I mean, there is difference between them.. but Its really slight.

Is there any way to exaggerate the value like smaller value 1 -> 1.324 and stronger value 10 -> 223.34?

Thanks,

-j

you can use a fit function to expand your magnitude range. You need to enter the original min and max values of your mag followed by your new min and max values.

fit($YOUR_MAG, 1, 10, 1.324, 223.34)