Playing with Radiohead point clouds

photex

Hello! Not sure who else has noticed that Radiohead released a chunk of the data they used for their last music video. It's a couple thousand csv files that are a point cloud of Thom Yorks face singing and so on. I don't know what the name of the tech is but they used a laser to record him.

Been having some fun with it and have made couple of interesting tests but this is the one I'm enjoying the most so far. Takes forever to render so it's only a small section of it.

The "bloom" is controlled by audio from the song itself using CHOPs to filter and export vol/amplitude to a threshold parameter that filters out points by intensity.

I wrote a python sop to read in the csv file and you can reassign the intensity parameter to whatever point attribute you like. By default though the intensity will just go to w.

Next on my list is a maximum point parameter that will *ideally* keep the point counts the same between frames, and I'd like to try updating point positions instead of loading new geometry each frame. But the interesting side effect of using new geometry each time is how much it looks like stop motion animation.

I've attached the HIP files that I've used so far. The archive unpacks to HouseOfCards/ with two subdirectories hip/ and otls/.

The files expect there to be a data directory that contains the csv files which can be aquired from here:

http://code.google.com/p/radiohead/downloads/list

and the whole site that does explaining that I haven't bothered to spend much time reading:

http://code.google.com/creative/radiohead/

Cheers

HOC_4.mov

chip_hoc.tar.gz

Thanks and you're welcome.

The python sop is basically nothing. Just read a line, split by comma, create a point and if requested set the value of a point attribute.

I forgot to include the audio snippet I used in the couple that use CHOPs.

It's expected in HouseOfCards/audio/

Cheers

hoc_loop.mp3