scale unit and FBX question!

cloudfx

Hi all,

I have a question about the unit scale.

like 1 unit = 1 centimeter or 1 inch.

Where do I change it in Houdini??

and is there any FBX 2009 installation required for houdini 9.1.244?

I am trying to export/import an animation file from Maya 2008 unlimited 2009fbx installed to houdini 9.1.244.

Thanks you very much!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Hi,

The Preferences is strictly for DOPs so the settings for some DOPs will be set correctly for the scale of the objects.

As for unit representation in Houdini, you can treat 1 unit as anything you want and there is no setting for it. Typically, when 1 unit is 1cm in Maya, 1 unit is 1cm in Houdini too.

As for FBX import/export, you require FBX 2009 as per this thread.

Cheers!

steven

Hi,

The Preferences is strictly for DOPs so the settings for some DOPs will be set correctly for the scale of the objects.

As for unit representation in Houdini, you can treat 1 unit as anything you want and there is no setting for it. Typically, when 1 unit is 1cm in Maya, 1 unit is 1cm in Houdini too.

As for FBX import/export, you require FBX 2009 as per this thread.

Cheers!

steven

Is there any other way to get updated latest FBX for Houdini?

I am using Houdini 9.1.244, and I guess its saying that 9.5.later version has improved version of fbx in camera and light..

I imported a scene from maya using FBX 2009. Only problem is the camera for my import/export work.

Thanks a lot!

Also, camera import from Maya doesn't always work as there are a number of critical parameters which currently FBX itself doesn't support. Ironic given that Autodesk control the FBX format. The paranoid might think Autodesk doesn't really want people to render out of other packages... good thing I'm not paranoid! :)

Cheers,

Peter B