Whitepoint suggestions

I would like to render out for film so Im using cinspeace as luts and would like to know where to fix the white points? I would be using 16bit float EXR in the pipeline so can anybody suggest me the right white point in the render settings... at Quantize function... please...

I'm not sure about "cinespace" but I'd stick to linear space, 1 as your whitepoint, HDR output (EXR perhaps?). All film look correction should strictly be a viewer LUT and your renders should remain linear -i.e, no LUT/whitepoint baked in. Look into Truelight for film viewer LUTs as per your DI provider, I'd say. There is now quite a growing standard for film now and you should receive ample cooperation from DI these days.

They should be able to provide you with a viewer LUT. You can convert FrameCycler LUTs to Houdini LUTs (for MPlay and Halo and Houdini) and light and composite to that. :)

Best of luck,

Jason

I tried 3delight where If i render using a whitepoint of 8192 and 65536 im getting the same output irrespective of the change.. what could be prob? any idea?

Are you rendering to an HDR format (like OpenEXR, for fp tiff)? If so, 3Delight might be subsequently ignoring whitepoint settings since you'll have all the data above that whitepoint in file anyway - and will thus be able to set your whitepoint later.

Setting a whitepoint at render-time is really a relic from the time where people would write out LDR/clamped images, (.sgi, .cin, etc). Nowadays you just render linear/HDR and do everything in composite and using viewer LUTs.

If you really want to render with a whitepoint set, you might have to tell 3Delight to use .sgi or .cin format, maybe? I'm not terribly hot on 3Delight:)

• 1 month later...
I tried out with 4095 but its too dark for exr ...

I'm not sure what you mean by this... but if you're rendering to OpenEXR format (or any floating point HDR format), just leave the Whitepoint at 1. You can apply any LUTs you want in the composite. If you set your whitepoint to 4095 then you'll be scaling down your brightness a lot in the render quite unnecessarily.

On jobs ive worked on the white point has always be a value of one .In the bash comp for lighting there has always been a node to clamp this value. If you have a linear pipeline I was under the impression that as long as the texture maps etc have their gamma value stripped off you render out your images and then as jason says you apply you LUT in comp. You can also switch easily from lin to log and vice a versa in your comp

Rob