street figther 4 effect

silentvisual

hi i am tryin to recapture or re make the effect in the street fighter 4 smoke effect

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/876299/stree...hter_4_trailer/

those effect how will i approach those in houdini? hmm and Wat kinda shader i will be using to create those smokey feel..and i want to do that in a path.. or curve

thanks

_b

Edited by silentvisual

it looks like a very composited set of effects with lots of different layers happening all at once. I see

- ink splats

- bampf type tendrils from points

- blobby smoke

- patricle smoke

What I didn't see was a fluid sim.

We could help if you're more specific about which effect you're asking about.

I wouldn't be surprised if each cut was done by a different person using their own techniques.

as far as I know, at the very simple core of the bampf is a moving noise field.

start with a grid, emit points from that with an initial velocity of 5 in positive Y.

play it through. rewind.

tack on a force pop with noise on it.

play it through. rewind. flipbook it so you can see it next to the next thing you're going to do.

in the Offset Y of the Force's noise add the expression $FF*2

play it through. rewind. flipbook it so you can see it next to the last thing you did.

Ta-da. That is the elemental form of a lot of noisy effects. You'll want to play with the Offset Y speed to more closely match the speed of the particles.

play with it for a while.

coolie thanks i will give that a try asap.. i just have one question.. lookin at those footage and particle stuff.. what are the way to texture and make it color and opacity and depth.. cause i know how particle system work and i know how tweak and add force field.. thats all and i really want to push my knowledge of it.. like adding color and making it professional looking cuz that been the hardest thing for me...

thanks

_b

You're going to need way more intensive education than you'll get on these forums. For a start check out:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/

http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/index.php

You're off to a good start by looking at reference and trying to make what you see. That's really the best way to create when you're starting out.

oh those gnomon and digital tutor dvd i saw most of them already.. my school library has them i rent it out and seat through all of it already.. like i am lookin for the more abstract part of it .. like creating those effect.. i even started to create those kinda effect using analog.. water tank ank ink dropping.. and doing high speed camera using it as a track matte..

i just really want to push my knowledge what i had.. from those dvd and use them.. and bring it to a professional look level or detail..

sorry about my grammar.. english is my 3rd language...

thank you for all the help...

_b

Water tank and high speed camera? Wow, I wish I had that stuff back when I was in school.

Your English is good, don't worry about it.

I think the one thing that's going to go the furthest in getting the look for that steam/smoke effect is your control over noise. Noisy emission with cutoffs so that you have holes for that organic look will go a long way to the look you want in this particular look.

The most important difference between noise and random is that you can control the features size with noise where random is just all over the place.

Perlin noise is the default noise in many applications. With the right eye for frequency and offset animation you can get lots of different looks. So, check this out:

http://www.noisemachine.com/talk1/

It gets pretty technical, but also covers some of the artistic stuff.

It's also good to learn the differences, strengths and weaknesses, between all the noises available in Houdini.

Here's a few things that over the years I've done with noise:

noisy emission with empty spots

noisy masses +/- 10%

noisy lifespan +/- 20%

animated the noise offset in one direction based on the speed of the particles (works well for particles going in one direction)

noise clamping lifespan so areas where the noise value is less than x don't get born (and animate x over time)

is there any sample files i can dissect or see how it was build.. as it for now i have what i want as in how particle flow i render it out aand is all dots.. -_- or points.. i want that blur blend feeling...

yup i got the particle to wat i want now i just need to shade it right or texture it right.. haha and i am loving how i am learning every moment doing more particle.. i used expression to help

thank you for all the help kleer001

_b