That darn group SOP

Hi there (Nevins..)

So here is the explanation once and for all on why the 'transfer selection to group' was removed in 5.0.

And no Nevins, its on all platforms not just NT.

If you want to look at it this way, the entire workflow for Houdini5 has been expanded to act like 'transfer selection to ...<sop>...' . You select the op you want in the viewport, choose what geometry you want and right click. voila. one touch easy.

If you feel the need to select your stuff first and then hit a button, then you push 's' (enter the select state) select the geometry, choose your op and again, voila.

With this in mind, having a seperate button to transfer the selection to the group is redundant**. The only loss of function that I can see is that it will put down a new group SOP for you if you ever need to change the selection.

And,well, quite frankly thats a good RFE. B)

But really saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is being a bit narrow minded. The entire modeling process was broke in 4.1 and less. Not to mention the fact that the words 'streamlined workflow' and houdini never even entered the same hemisphere, never mind the same sentence.

Believe me, you may be happy with your shiny toy :D, but if you give this one a chance you'll find that its shinier and faster and all your friends will be jealous :) .

Does that help explain it?

Marc

**following on my analogy, you can think of the right mouse button as your 'transfer selection to group' button. Nice eh?

Hello Marc,

Congrats on the new forum!! I guess 4.1 isn't the only thing that needed a face lift. No pun intended! No seriously though. I thank you for making this forum. It's hard to admit, but i have to agree with you. I think what happened is that, well speaking for myself, that button was a savior for a lot of people in the days of 4.1 because parametric modelling was not fun and I was always looking for shortcuts. But, once you got over the hump, which I'm still getting over might I add, it's like butter baby. I, for one thing, can't get enough of this program, nor my colleagues who tend to be Alias driven--bastards, it's now they see what they're missing. Don't forget to make sure the history is on you loosers. But they have jobs and I don't. C'est lavi.

Nevins