particles to curl

xak0yax

Hey I'm doing a building collapse as a project, and managed to birth particles where and when the bricks land on the ground. I was wondering if there a way to control the motion of the particles, the dust, so that it curls like how you would see during the implosion/demolition of a buidling. I was thinking about using a meta ball attractor, but not sure how to go about it. any suggestions?

The absolute best way to do this would be with fluids. I have had some luck with metaball forces for this effect before, but I don't think it would hold up with thick dust, to be honest.

I don't have a houdini in front of me, but if you still need help tomorrow then I could throw up a quick example of the metaball forces.

Good luck

Marc

Also, if you are comfortable creating a VOP POP then check out the Curl Noise VOP and you can use that to affect your particle velocity. Bascially add the output of the Curl Noise VOP to the current "v" attribute. You can use "accel" instead, since I think that is more "physically" correct, but IMO I think manipulating "v" give better results.

But Marc is right that the best way to get good results is to advect the particles using fluids,

Edited by SpencerL