Eppies

neonshaun

Well, now that this project is getting off the ground a bit more, I figure it's time to post it up.

And.... its about 4am so I'm waiting for stuff to render.

Eppies is a short film about a group of small creatures who discover a frisbee stuck in their tree. They take advantage of this foreign object, and play in it throughout the seasons until it gets knocked down.

The story is pretty simple, but the main goal of the project is to get different departments collaborating here at SCAD, which is often difficult.

We've had film students shoot the plates, animators beginning to animate, we have a dedicated rigger, someone doing muscle systems AND supervising... motion graphics kids working on credits... etc

I'm in charge of the fur for the characters.

When the project started, we were only able to use houdini 9.1. So I had to make my own fur tools/setup.

As the fur progressed, I found myself able to incorporate many of the suggestions people had into the system.

Anyways, enough talk... Here's where the fur is at right now:

http://neonshaun.com/studio/movs/rest.mov

http://neonshaun.com/studio/movs/rest1.mov

Those are with rough animation/rig tests and no muscle structure.

The fur is freaking out at some points with the dynamics... that's what I'm working on fixing right now, as well as retouching parts that need more density.

I have it set up so the fur bends and frizzes if it faces the camera, which helped in lowering the overall density, but I think I still need to increase it (especially around his nose and tail)

I have 2 variations so far... we're aiming for ~20 individual characters.

But I know people here have done professional work with fur... any suggestions so far?

post-4183-1226309355_thumb.jpg

Edited by neonshaun

They look really nice but i hands are to tiny and fingers too thin for my taste.

oh yeah... these renders are just of the fur layer. The palms, nose, lips, and soles of the feet weren't imported in for hair, so they will be a bit thicker.

Edited by neonshaun