VopChop - General Concept

sanostol

How can I for example seperate the channels to convert them to a quaternion, and output them back to chop context?. First problem is that the number of channels does not fit anymore. Does anybody have a short introduction? I know how this sounds... short introduction and vopChop, but the help file is dead on this part

How can I for example seperate the channels to convert them to a quaternion, and output them back to chop context?. First problem is that the number of channels does not fit anymore. Does anybody have a short introduction? I know how this sounds... short introduction and vopChop, but the help file is dead on this part

I have no experience with VOPCHOPs but if they behave like VEX CHOPs - which they should - you need to feed any channel you want to modify and output into the operator.

At least that's how I understood it.

Means in your example:

Input the "channels" - what ever this is in your context - and something like an output template - four channels for quaternions I guess - into the VOPCHOP.

This should keep the number of channels constant and you can transfer values between them.

Hope this helps,

Georg

• 2 years later...

VOP/VEX CHOPs can only return a single channel at this time. If you need to do this in CHOPs and need to return a vector4, you can put down four VOP CHOPs each returning one of the elements of the vector4.

Hi.

Actually, i need vector4 inside VOP CHOP,i don't need to output him.I can output single channel no problem, but how to form this vector4 in VOP, from 4 incoming channels.... <_<

I have used VOP CHOPs for that several times

I have to say it's not ideal and it's probably not build for outputting other that float1 channels

but you can output vector or quaternion if you want

the key is to have the same number of channels in the input as you want to output

then you can use chinput() vex function (use Inline VOP) to import any channel(s) from input and compute your vector/quaternion/matrix from that values

then break your vector/quaternion/matrix to floats feed them into switch and choose one by channel number

the downside to this is that you are making calculations as many times as there is input channels instead of just one

as an alternative you can use VOP SOP on 1 point geometry and do the calculations there

@Stalkerx777 but for just calculating vectors/... from input channels just use that chinput() function

Thanks Tomas. chinput(), that's what i need.

I have used VOP CHOPs for that several times

I have to say it's not ideal and it's probably not build for outputting other that float1 channels

but you can output vector or quaternion if you want

the key is to have the same number of channels in the input as you want to output

then you can use chinput() vex function (use Inline VOP) to import any channel(s) from input and compute your vector/quaternion/matrix from that values

then break your vector/quaternion/matrix to floats feed them into switch and choose one by channel number

the downside to this is that you are making calculations as many times as there is input channels instead of just one

as an alternative you can use VOP SOP on 1 point geometry and do the calculations there

@Stalkerx777 but for just calculating vectors/... from input channels just use that chinput() function