How to VOP VEX SHOP diffuse to show in viewport

abvfx

Hey oh, now that we have the crack out of our system, let get back to help people. :)

Ok so i have made a VOP VEX SHOP, converted it into a material and want to be able to see it in the viewport. Nothing crazy is going on i would just like to see the diffuse attribute in the viewport.

I can easily get textures to display but procedurally generated colour is another thing. I've tried messing around with OGL attributes because i know thats where colour is pumped into for display in the viewport but obviously my efforts have been unsuccessful.

So how do i over come this problem.

I cant even a VOP checkerboard to display in the viewport. Render is fine though.

(does this have something to do with the fact that it is made procedurally and therefore there is no limit to its resolution?)

btw its fine in renders and in the shader ball preview.

thanks again guys

the shader view is still there, its called "shader view" :)

I am not quite sure, but I might remember the VEX display mode disappeared with H9?

There is some faint memory of having seen it in 8 ...

Nowadays you probably are supposed to port your shader to OGL2 ?

Well the theory is that you create a ogl shader as an asset, so you go to File/New Operator Type, and choose to write a shop type.

This then can be an opengl shader. You then write your code in the Code folder.

According to the docs, you are supposed to be able to embed your Vex code in there as well. You do that by looking for the teeny, tiny, little wee button that's on the right side of the code page, and turning on Vex. That will create a Vex folder.

What I did was copy the code from the existing gingham ogl vop and a vex vop that I put together a gingham check material.

They both compiled correctly. However I still didn't see the check in the viewport.

Same here.

Its a shame because its really a required feature of the software.

Imagine a bouncing ball with the VEX VOP Shop, its hard to visualize it rolling without the texture. I might ask on the SESI forum, just hope i dont piss people off since ive already asked here :).

Imagine a bouncing ball with the VEX VOP Shop, its hard to visualize it rolling without the texture.

You can always assign a texture to any of your shaders on the openGL tab of the shader which even allows multi-layered textures.

In some cases you can recreate your shader roughly in COPs and use the op:/ syntax to fetch the texture.

For a rolling ball something like a checker or stripe pattern will do anyway.

In some cases you can recreate your shader roughly in COPs and use the op:/ syntax to fetch the texture.

For a rolling ball something like a checker or stripe pattern will do anyway.

Yeah but the shader is procedural and although it is a very simple shader, that a big downfall that there isnt a workaround so i can make adjustments on the parameter of the shader.

But i will try the COP method for sure.