image with alpha over silver

Rudinie

Hi everyone,

i could use some help on how to make a layered shader.

Basically what i want to learn is how to get an image with an alpha channel mapped onto an object but keep the underlying material.

My shader-writing skills are close to non-existant and coming from a max background where you can just make a layered material in 2 clicks, i find myself lost. Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Rudi

My shader-writing skills are close to non-existant and coming from a max background where you can just make a layered material in 2 clicks, i find myself lost.

Due to technical constraints Mantra doesn't support layering materials like MAX.

The discussion here might shed some light on how to approach layered shaders:

painted metal shader

But I suggest to start with gaining some 'shader-writing skills'.

These notes introduce to the basic concepts.

They also explain how layering in shaders works.

Hope this helps.

Georg

Edited by rdg

Due to technical constraints Mantra doesn't support layering materials like MAX.

The discussion here might shed some light on how to approach layered shaders:

painted metal shader

But I suggest to start with gaining some 'shader-writing skills'.

These notes introduce to the basic concepts.

They also explain how layering in shaders works.

Hope this helps.

Georg

you can look at the glass material in the material gallery to see how this type of layered material could be built.

Excuse me? Constrains? You mean due to a lack of technical constrains Mantra doesn't support layering materials like Max.

Rudinie:

The closest analog to Max layering are VOPs in which you rebuild, use premade or turn into VOP from SHOPS, different shaders and layer them as you'd like.

The closest analog to Max layering are VOPs in which you rebuild, use premade or turn into VOP from SHOPS, different shaders and layer them as you'd like.

SYmek is right. Though I understood what he is referring to only after some discussion.

Right clicking on "VEX Clay" allows you to turn this shader into a VOP type, which in turn can be used inside another VOP VEX Surface SHOP ...

That's cool. :blink:

post-960-1229685855_thumb.png

Edited by rdg

SYmek is right. Though I understood what he is referring to only after some discussion.

Right clicking on "VEX Clay" allows you to turn this shader into a VOP type, which in turn can be used inside another VOP VEX Surface SHOP ...

That's cool. :blink:

Well, I used poisoned sausage to force him to say I'm right. :o