Metaball Volume rendering

Hello!

Im trying to create smoke effects using particles with copied metaballs to them, and the "render metaball as volume" feature. :)

Ive set the copy node to copy "use temelate point attributes, so the metaballs gets my particle color and alpha.

Using the billow_smoke shader the volume gets the particle color but not the alpha.

Im guessing the shader aint looking for the point alpha.

So im wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to make the shader inherit the particles alpha!? :)

Instead of passing the alpha, create a 'density' attribute on the metaballs.

I would use 'basic_smoke' shader from the material palette instead. But the basic smoke shader doesn't have any noise ? Well, apply a 3d displacement shader to the metaballs as well. Yes, you can displace volumes !

Thanks for the reply!

I will try to create a density attribute!!

I did a test with displacement and the opacity noise on the billowy_smoke shader! This can actualy produce reeeealy good smoke with the right setup!

So i got even more questions about this workflow now!

How can i make my perlin_noise displacement flow with the particle simulation? :D

Edited by Korhon

having a displacement and a noise will definitively give you nice result, but I would just use one of them - it is already difficult enough to fine tune.

For the noise flowing effect, you will need a to create a rest position attribute (use the 'rest position sop').

I think the billowy_smoke shader will read it.

The restposition worked perfectly!

Now I need to look into the "density" attribute to make it fade with time.

Just one question about that. Should I create a attribute mapped to life and link the smokeshader`s density to that attribute?

Heres a rendertest i did yesterday. A bit funky simulation, but the rendering looks quite nice imo :)

Metaball_volume_render_02.mov

• 2 weeks later...

The difference with a standard displacement shader is that you will not displace along a normal.

- create a VOP VEX Displacement Shop

- inside this node, create a antialiased noise.

- set the noise output to 3d noise, and connect P from the globals (or the rest position) to 'pos'

- add the output noise to P, and connect the result to the ouput P

This looks very nice.

I'm trying to do something similar, but rendering with the option "Metaball as Volumes" turned on is painfully slow for me. Especially when you compare it to an SDF Volume.

Here are some questions:

1) Can anyone give me some tips on how to speed things up? Is it better to render a lot of small metaballs with little intersection or just a few which that intersect more?

2) Are there any other definite advantages or disadvantages to do a "Metaball as Volumes" render instead of other methods like creating an SDF Volume.

I would also love to take a look at your scenefile.

Kind regards,

Dennis

Edited by Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having a little trouble displacing metaball volumes. I know it was described before but I can't seem to get it to work. My volume just disappears, even if there i set the amount of displacement to 0. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks