Houdini apprentice Installation??

I'm a new linux user (well I should not count myself as one..I CANT simply install things here!!)

I just downloaded Houdini Apprentice, linux version (64bit)

The issue is, its more than what I bargained for :D

I cant simply install this without screwing up with my system..I read the installation guide which honestly was of no help..(or probably its my sheer lack of understanding in linux)

can anyone guide me with this??

thanks.

PS: currently running Ubuntu 8.10

EDIT: Just found the Installing Houdini Odwiki..Great Help!!

(sorry to waste the thread)

let me also post the link..just in case it might help someone else

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/InstallingHoudini

Edited by bhaveshpandey

there's one issue though :huh:

how do I run it (this question is really embarassing) phew!!

How do I enter the opt directory where houdini got saved....

I cant see any option in menu too :(

You should see it under Applications>Side Effects Sotware if you installed it correctly. Sometimes when you first install it it may not make the Side Effects Software folder correctly but you should still see it somewhere under Applications. If it's there somewhere but there is no Side Effects Software folder, sometimes uninstalling houdini and reinstalling will fix it. If you need more instruction on installing or uninstalling, please ask, but it sounds like you were able to install so that should not be a problem.

To get to any directory you need to open up a terminal(Applications>Accessories>Terminal). Once in the terminal you just need to cd (Change directory) to where you want to go. For example, to get to the opt directory: cd /opt. To get a list of what's in that directory use ls. If you need to execute or make changes to a directory you need to be super user which uses the command sudo(super user do) and then enter your password to change to super user.

HTH

hey thanks wolf cub one :)

i did check the applications tab but its not there..I also tried checking whether its been installed correctly using synaptic but could not see Houdini or SideFX anywhere..

Guess I'll have to reinstall it..

How do I uninstall it now :huh:

thanks for help

hey thanks wolf cub one :)

i did check the applications tab but its not there..I also tried checking whether its been installed correctly using synaptic but could not see Houdini or SideFX anywhere..

Guess I'll have to reinstall it..

How do I uninstall it now :huh:

thanks for help

Give me a few minutes. I'll download the latest build and I'll walk you through exactly how how I would install and uninstall houdini .

sure thing buddy!!

the only thing I did not like in Linux is this..there are just so many hassles when installing.

(but I guess its one of the strong holds of linux too....flexibility and security)

else, I'm already in love with Ubuntu..its amazing!

Edited by bhaveshpandey

Sorry for taking so long but here are the directions to install. I'll write up how to uninstall next so you don't have to wait:

push the alt and F2 key together

run application will pop up. Type gksudo nautilus. (this command allows you to get super user access to files) Then hit Run with file...

it will ask for your password. Type it in so that you can have ssuper user access.

a file browser will open click File System. It will open all the files on your drive, double click the opt folder to go inside.

I downloaded houdini-9.5.427-linux_x86_64_gcc4.1.tar.gz and it's on my desktop. You can follow the wiki on how to install but if you are not comfortable yet with using a terminal:

1. Doubel click houdini-9.5.427-linux_x86_64_gcc4.1.tar.gz to open up the Archive Manager.

2. Drag out the houdini-9.5.427-linux_x86_64_gcc4.1 folder to this opened opt folder.

3. Double click houdini-9.5.427-linux_x86_64_gcc4.1 folder to go inside.

4. Doubel click houdini.install. Choose Run in Terminal.

5. Terminal windows pops up. Click enter a few times to get to the end of the Software Agreement.

6. Follow the direction. Basically follow the directions given and type what you need to proceed. If you follow all the directions, houdini is now installed.

7. You can find it in Applications>Side Effects Software. You should be able to run houdini from here.

To make sure your environments are set for this version of houdini:

1. Open up a terminal(Applications>Accessories>Terminal)

2. Here is what is in my terminal:

computer@computer:~$ sudo -s

[sudo] password for computer:

root@computer:~# cd /opt

root@computer:/opt# ls

hfs9.1.333 hfs9.5.379 hfs9.5.427 houdini-9.5.427-linux_x86_64_gcc4.1

hfs9.5 hfs9.5.420 houdini install

root@computer:/opt# cd hfs9.5.427

root@computer:/opt/hfs9.5.427# source houdini_setup

The Houdini 9.5.427 environment has been initialized.

root@computer:/opt/hfs9.5.427#

What I typed:

sudo -s: to get super user access and then typed my password

cd /opt: cd(changed directory) to opt.

ls: list what's in the directory

cd hfs9.5.427: cd to the folder that houdini sets up for Houdini 9.5.427

source houdini_setup: to initialize The Houdini 9.5.427 environment

Edited by wolf_cub_one

To uninstall for those not comfortable with the terminal yet:

If the browser is open still using the direction given above using the run application and using gksudo nautilus(if you closed it just follow the directions above):

1. Go to the opt folder(File System> opt) and go to the houdini version that you want to uninstall. In my case since I installed hfs9.5.427, I want to uninstall the older version which for me is hfs9.5.420.

2. Inside the hfs9.5.420 folder there is houdini.uninstall. Double click that and choose Run in Terminal. It will ask if you want to uninstall Houdini 9.5.420. Type yes. That's it. Press Enter to finish

Hope I was clear enough for all the directions.

cheers

hey I'm getting this error when I run houdini.uninstall:

Removing desktop files...

/opt/hfs9.5.379/python/bin/python2.5-bin: 4: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

Press Enter to finish.

any ideas??

(BTW my home and opt are in the same location, i.e. drive....if that's the reason?? )

mornin 6 O'clock here....gonna sleep now :sleep1:

will fix this after I wake up :D

hey I'm getting this error when I run houdini.uninstall:

/opt/hfs9.5.379/python/bin/python2.5-bin: 4: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

Press Enter to finish.

any ideas??

(BTW my home and opt are in the same location, i.e. drive....if that's the reason?? )

mornin 6 O'clock here....gonna sleep now :sleep1:

will fix this after I wake up :D

Your home and opt folders should be at the same level so that should not be a problem. Not sure what the error means. Got to go also.

Edited by wolf_cub_one

back and still trying to figure it out.. :coffee1:

if there are any suggestions..please let me know..

cheers

PS: is there any software or trick with which I can force uninstall and install the fresh copy??

(I thought of installing the fresh copy without uninstalling....but did not have the guts to go ahead since I'm totally alien to Linux right now....Wont installing the same copy of a program trigger the notification for uninstalling the earlier copy, like in Windows??..i don't really want to screw up my laptop)

Edited by bhaveshpandey

Here's how to use the terminal to uninstall houdini:

computer@computer:~$ sudo -s

[sudo] password for computer:

root@computer:~# cd /opt/hfs9.5.427/

root@computer:/opt/hfs9.5.427# ./houdini.uninstall

Are you sure you want to uninstall Houdini 9.5.427? [yes or no]

yes

Removing /opt/hfs9.5.427...

Uninstall complete. Press Enter to finish.

Using what I wrote before, you should know what I'm doing.

./houdini.uninstall ----means execute houdini.uninstall(this will only work if you have root access which is why I used the sudo -s command before it)

When you type in the terminal you can use tab to help you complete what you are typing. For example if I type hfs and hit tab--if there is only one file that has hfs it will type out the complete file name so for my example it would be hfs9.5.427.

This should do it.

hey thanks Wolf Cub One..I have been successful in uninstalling things but I'm not able to install it again.. (this is probably the longest installation I have done..PHEW!!)

I managed to get this code from the terminal..which says there's some error while installing:

Installing: Houdini in /opt/hfs9.5.379
Installing apprentice license...
The Houdini 9.5.379 environment has been initialized.
/opt/hfs9.5.379/bin/hkey: line 8: /opt/hfs9.5.379/bin/hkey-bin: cannot execute binary file
/opt/hfs9.5.379/bin/hkey: line 8: /opt/hfs9.5.379/bin/hkey-bin: Success
Error installing apprentice license
	Houdini install successful

what does this error mean?

I can just see that some errors have happened while installing both Houdini and apprentice license.

All I can make out of this is that there were some errors....but it shows installation complete..

( just to check whether its installed or not ,I tried setting up environment variables like you did in earlier post by using sudo -s

and it says environment for Houdini initialised. but nothing happens)

Edited by bhaveshpandey

Sounds like it installed. Is it available in the applications menu to choose from? This maybe a silly question but did you run houdini and then run the license adminstrator to get a license for houdini?

You may have some files that weren't erased due to permissions issues from your earlier attempts to uninstall. I know how to get rid of them if that is the case but I'll leave that up to you since messing with permissions can get really messy if you don't know what you are doing. Don't know what else to do to help you other than suggest downloading the latest build and install that version. You should have no issues having different version on the same computer. I have a couple different version myself.

hey thanks for all the help buddy!!

my exams are starting from day after tommorrow (studying Advertising..and it sucks!! LOL)

wont be able to check this thread for some time..

cheers!!

PS: gotta study now :coffee1:

Also my Houdini is still not installed, so I'm gonna throw some questions later :D

thanks again for all the help

Edited by bhaveshpandey

Hey there

Check which version of gcc you're running and make sure you've downloaded the correct version of houdini.

Type 'gcc -v' into a console and at the bottom it will show you what version it is.

Cheers

Marc

hey Marc you actually nailed it in the head..

I was very carelessly trying to install gcc4.1 on my gcc4.3.2 version of Ubuntu..

But this gives way to my next question....I could not find a gcc4.3 version of houdini :(

So could you tell me any workarounds for this?

latest build is gcc4.2 that also for Debian ( Debian 64-bit Linux (lenny))

so what are my options??

thanks for help :)

back to study :sleep1: