Some hints or tips to improve my tornado look/shader?

Hi all,

How are you guys?

I been trying to do a tornado on H.

I been tweaking it for weeks and I still can't get it to look right. So maybe someone can look at my scene file and give me some ideas on where to improve?

I have attached the render images and scene file.

The images look horrible and I been trying to get it right but no avail.

Thanks!

tornado_ugly1.jpg

tornado_ugly2.jpg

tornado_ugly23.jpg

tornado_ugly31.jpg

regards,

Ray

tornado_merge_29_changeTornadoShader.hipnc

Check out 3dbuzz, there are some free tornado tutorials (Houdini 6 but should be helpful anyway).

Hi there,

thanks for the reply.

I have tried the tutorials at 3d buzz but it is not giving me the look i want. I would like to get a smoky details look.

I know volume shader can achieve the quality, but i wish to see if i can get it done in particles using sprite shader since it is faster.

Edited by Raymond Chua

Hi there,

thanks for the reply.

I have tried the tutorials at 3d buzz but it is not giving me the look i want. I would like to get a smoky details look.

I know volume shader can achieve the quality, but i wish to see if i can get it done in particles using sprite shader since it is faster.

Is it possible to achieve something like this using sprites and vex surface SHOP?

I have been playing with sprites' sizes, number of particles birth and the noise and color on the SHOP but still can't get that.

This is a test achieve in volume shader. Something that look like this using sprites?

tornado_volume.jpg

Thanks.

Is it possible to achieve something like this using sprites and vex surface SHOP?

I have been playing with sprites' sizes, number of particles birth and the noise and color on the SHOP but still can't get that.

I think you'd need so many sprites overlapping and shadowing each other that you're really just creating a Volume. ;)