generating an environment map

I'm trying to composite a sign that I built and animated on to a building in a still. I'm struggling with tryin to light the sign properly. I want to try global illumination with an environment map. However, I don't have a proper HDR image. I just have this still. Is there a way to create a decent environment map from the still I have?

chris_sign_simple_comp_v02_resize_back.hipnc

render_from_SOP.zip

post-1834-1240864253_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to composite a sign that I built and animated on to a building in a still. I'm struggling with tryin to light the sign properly. I want to try global illumination with an environment map. However, I don't have a proper HDR image. I just have this still. Is there a way to create a decent environment map from the still I have?

It looks like a pretty ambient/murky day. I'll bet you could just throw together a latlong env map using sampled colors from that sky, a darker gray ground plane and you'd get pretty close. There is no cloud detail nor bright sun direction.

It looks like a pretty ambient/murky day. I'll bet you could just throw together a latlong env map using sampled colors from that sky, a darker gray ground plane and you'd get pretty close. There is no cloud detail nor bright sun direction.

as jason mention I think its more to do with light match then env map, give atry and see.

cheers

junaid