Dumb question from an XSI user

I'm an XSI user trying to learn Houdini.

So far so good, my biggest problem has not been conceptual but rather I am having trouble simply transforming objects in the 3D viewer.

Do I *have* to click on an object's handle in order to translate it? Please tell me this isn't so!

In XSI one doesn't (currently) have any 3D manipulator handles on objects, they are purely visual. Once I select a hotkey for Translation I can click anywhere in the screen and translate the object. To translate in Y its V + Middle Mouse, for X its V + Left Mouse.. etc.. Make sense?

So far in Houdini it seems like I have to dolly in on an object (if I'm far away) and then search for one of its little tiny translation handles which seem to be there at odd times and be missing at others.

See where I'm going? Is there a hotkey + mouse button way of translating quickly on a given Axis?

Sorry to post such a verbose question :)

Yes, I'm afraid you currently DO have to click on the handle to affect it. THe reason is because you can have multiple independant handles at the same time and Houdini will not know which handle you wish to affect. The handles may represent anything from translation to posing to modeling handles - which may cause catastrophic results if you attempted to manipulate them all simulataneously.

you can also middle mouse button click on the parameter field for whichever transform you want to do and drag left or right to affect it using a particular increment. that seems somewhat closer to the XSI implementation.

hope that helps!

will