electron microscope shader

cspears2002

Can anyone give me some hints on creating an electron microscope shader? Not quite sure how to start...

Thanks.

I would start with a Fresnel VOP. Take it's "kr" output and multiply it with your surface color or opacity. I'd also try an eta of around 0.75.

I would start with a Fresnel VOP. Take it's "kr" output and multiply it with your surface color or opacity. I'd also try an eta of around 0.75.

Yup! And a common hack for a Fresnel-like effect is pow( dot(N,I), exponent ) -- like what you get out of an Edge Falloff VOP. Sometimes it's a little more controllable.

Yup, you didn't add in any diffuse or specular. Fresnel is completely independent of lighting direction.

I don't really see 'lighting' in electron microscope images, maybe if you use a simple shader like that and add lots of geometry detail with displacements and little bits of debris... ?

microworld_v01_5.hipnc

Edited by sam.h

Ok I think I nailed it. I used a shader created with this formula: Cf = 1 - abs(dot(normalize(N), normalize(I)))

For the surface that my diatom rests on, I used a Riverbed Displacement shader as well. I rendered the scene out as one pass. Then I rendered an ambient occlusion pass. Finally, I combined the two passes in COPs with a Multiply COP.

Let me know what you think!

microworld_v02_5.hipnc

post-1834-1248020971_thumb.jpg

Ok I think I nailed it. I used a shader created with this formula: Cf = 1 - abs(dot(normalize(N), normalize(I)))

For the surface that my diatom rests on, I used a Riverbed Displacement shader as well. I rendered the scene out as one pass. Then I rendered an ambient occlusion pass. Finally, I combined the two passes in COPs with a Multiply COP.

Let me know what you think!

Adjusted brightness and contrast in COPs.

post-1834-1248021973_thumb.jpg

microworld_v02_6.hipnc