how to blend two materials?

Netvudu

What the topic reads...what is the usual workflow in Houdini to have one material blending into another in different areas of the object? Do I need a layered shader? Is there any stock material in Houdini that does this?

What the topic reads...what is the usual workflow in Houdini to have one material blending into another in different areas of the object? Do I need a layered shader? Is there any stock material in Houdini that does this?

the glass material has a combination of the decal and glass materials.

No clean way that I know of, sorry.

For dirty, you could try:

a) Copy-paste the contents of one material to another, hoping there will be no parameter name conflicts.

The resulting ui for the shader will probably be quite a mess. Also, this would only work for vopnet-based

shaders, not hardwired.

B) Duplicate your surface, move the duplicate along normal by as little as you can, assign to it the top layer

shader with your wanted alpha as opacity.

eetu.

• Like 1

very dark humor, eetu.. :)

it needs setup. i think it's not so hard, but it can be strange at first. (it's also possible that there is an easier way) so if i had to do this, i wouldn't copy them above each other but would create a subnet for each original vop network. it's a good idea to add a null (rename) node to every parameter which goeas to the output before you do the subnet because otherwise it's easy to get lost later. omit the output of course.

then it has to be done to every material you want to mix. copy the subnets to the new shader's vop vex surface node, and add your mixing to the soup. you can clean up the parameter interface, you just need to create some folders and copy the original parameters there. plus same goes for the displacement shaders.

you don't have to do it like this, (there will be no name collisions because houdini will rename the pasted nodes) but if you just copy and paste you will probably get a mess and lost your apetite.

it needs three minutes, not three seconds..

yeah it's technics lego, not duplo. it's harder to put it together, but your friends will like it more. girls usually don't care :)

cheers

bmt

Yeah, sorry for the pessimistic tone there :)

It's just that I'd very much like to see some coshader-type functionality, which would probably make stuff

like this easier too..

eetu.

• Like 1