generate millions particles at rendertime

MENOZ

hello. Do you know a method to generate millions of particles at rendertime given a low number of particles? what I mean is trying to duplicate partilces or make others particles that follow the motion of surrounding paritlces, but without display them in viewport, and generate only at rendertime.

I remember that I read something on surf's up paper, for generate the waves splashes, but that was a little too advanced I think..

thank you!

hello. Do you know a method to generate millions of particles at rendertime given a low number of particles? what I mean is trying to duplicate partilces or make others particles that follow the motion of surrounding paritlces, but without display them in viewport, and generate only at rendertime.

I remember that I read something on surf's up paper, for generate the waves splashes, but that was a little too advanced I think..

thank you!

http://www.digitalcinemaarts.com/dev/clusterThis/index.html

With the help of this dso, you can render 50million of particles on average machine in one pass. It works great though last time I've checked there wasn't too much control on particles distribution. Cvex might be an option but afaik ClusterThis still has some limitation here (access to parent attributes). Still even without that extension, you can achieve nice results playing with 2 or 3 milion of particles. Carefully chosen size, opacity, and motion blur for particles can greatly helps here.

cheers,

skk.

It works great though last time I've checked there wasn't too much control on particles distribution. Cvex might be an option but afaik ClusterThis still has some limitation here (access to parent attributes).

I was looking at the latest version recently and cvex seemed to be working well, although I dont think there is way to generate a unique id per instance yet.

hello, I tried using the DSO, but when I try to render the take 11 particle point instancing, for example, I get this error.

Unknown operator type: Shop/pcplastic
Unknown operator type: Shop/sfsss
Unknown operator type: Shop/fastgi
Generating Image: ip (720x486)
 Plane[C]: Cf+Af[4] (16-bit float)
    SampleFilter: alpha
    PixelFilter:  gaussian 2 2
    VEX Type:     vector4
    Dither:       0.5
    Gamma:        1
    Gain:         1
    White point:  1
mantra: Unable to find registration function 'allocProcedural' in 'mantra/VRAY_clusterThis.so'

mantra: Cannot allocate procedural 'clusterThis' on object /obj/particles
Load Time: 0.468u 0.453s 0.57r
Memory:  47.22 MB of 47.36 MB arena size. VM Size: 187.80 MB
VEX Shaders Loaded
  op:/obj/shopnet/screening/gridSurface stdin.vex
Thread Count: 2
Render Time: 0.859u 0.578s 1.24r
Memory:  70.80 MB of 71.81 MB arena size. VM Size: 269.25 MB

Could you help me please to solve this problem?

it seems it search 'mantra/VRAY_clusterThis.so' but I am on win, not linux, so I use the .DLL file instead of .so

EDIT:

i added the VRAY_clusterThis.so in the directory, and now when i render it prompt me an error mesage from mantra.exe, then a houdini DSO error.

(193)couldn't load .../VRAY_clusterThis.so.
this is probably beacuse this file was intended for use with a different version of Houdini

I have the lastest build, but in the readme it taks about H 9.5.

the problem still remain :huh:

Edited by MENOZ

It means it can't find the correct file it needs, for the release you need to use win32 for 9.5, since it's compiled for that.

You need to place the VRAY_Procedural on $HOME/houdini9.5, the .dll in $HOME/houdini9.5/dso/mantra.

I've got a compile for Win64 in Houdini 10, but I'm still testing to see if it works completely.

It means it can't find the correct file it needs, for the release you need to use win32 for 9.5, since it's compiled for that.

You need to place the VRAY_Procedural on $HOME/houdini9.5, the .dll in $HOME/houdini9.5/dso/mantra.

I've got a compile for Win64 in Houdini 10, but I'm still testing to see if it works completely.

the problem probably is that I'm using Houdini 10. the paths are correct.

:(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ratman

any news on Houdini 10 x64 build...

Hi Ratman

any news on Houdini 10 x64 build...

I knew I'd forgotten something, sorry about that, I've had a busy couple of days.

Everything else should work except for your old DLL, replace it with the one I compiled, it's compiled for h10.0.374, I'm sticking with Production builds for now unless someone really needs one for a daily build.

Let me know how it works out for you!

VRAY_clusterThis_h10.0.374.zip

Guest xionmark

Greetings,

Sorry, been way distracted with other work, haven't seen this thread yet (I think) but wanted to post that there is a new version about ready to roll out, shouldn't be too much longer. It will have the curve instancing working and a few other goodies/optimizations.

Mark

Greetings,

Sorry, been way distracted with other work, haven't seen this thread yet (I think) but wanted to post that there is a new version about ready to roll out, shouldn't be too much longer. It will have the curve instancing working and a few other goodies/optimizations.

Mark

Thanks for the heads up, Mark! Should be good.