Free Houdini particle and camera transfer tools

http://www.orcavfx.com/downloads/mt_tools/

Particle tools

- you need Python 2.5 and PyQt for Python 2.5 installed.

- Houdini 9.5.379 and later supported.

- on Windows you're limited to 32-bit Houdini (no 64-bit PyQt yet)

- on Linux there's no such limitation.

Camera transfer tools

- no need for PyQt.

- Houdini 9.5 and later supported.#

- Maya 8.5 and later supported.

I've tested on more than 10 production builds (HD on Windows, Apprentice on Linux)

Haven't tested on OS X.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by whalerider

Thanks for sharing these, Mihail.

I am sure the camera transferring one will come in handy soon :) . No more messing with apertures :) .

The aperture is not exported correctly though. It has something to do with Maya being in inches and houdini in mm's.

You have to multiply aperture by 25.4 to get the correct looking camera in Houdini. Besides that - great tool!!!

I am well aware and the tool does multiply the Maya horizontal aperture by 25.4 to get the horizontal Houdini aperture.

For example 1.417 (Maya) becomes 36 in Houdini.

See http://www.orcavfx.com/downloads/mt_tools/help/camera_transfer_tools/snapshots/maya_camera_settings_in_houdini.jpg

How did you test it?

The aperture is not exported correctly though. It has something to do with Maya being in inches and houdini in mm's.

You have to multiply aperture by 25.4 to get the correct looking camera in Houdini. Besides that - great tool!!!

Edited by whalerider

Thats my bad. Just the other day I used this tool to transfer camera and I had to multiply it by hand. Now we just received an updated camera for the shot - and this time everything went smoothly. Guess it was just a glitch.

I am well aware and the tool does multiply the Maya horizontal aperture by 25.4 to get the horizontal Houdini aperture.

For example 1.417 (Maya) becomes 36 in Houdini.

See http://www.orcavfx.com/downloads/mt_tools/help/camera_transfer_tools/snapshots/maya_camera_settings_in_houdini.jpg

How did you test it?

No problem.

If anyone spots any bugs let me know.

I plan to add a release log with notes on what has been fixed/updated.

If time permits, I'll do that by the end of this week.

Thats my bad. Just the other day I used this tool to transfer camera and I had to multiply it by hand. Now we just received an updated camera for the shot - and this time everything went smoothly. Guess it was just a glitch.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

version 1.4 is out:

- Nuke support

- PyMEL (for the Maya-specific tools)

- cleaned up the code

http://www.orcavfx.com/downloads/mt_tools/

anyone tested the camtools with nuke 6v03 ? nuke crashes when i try to import the chan from houdini.... no coding background here so may i missed something with the installation ?! running windows 64bit

thx

crashing for me as well.

i'll have a look over the weekend.

anyone tested the camtools with nuke 6v03 ? nuke crashes when i try to import the chan from houdini.... no coding background here so may i missed something with the installation ?! running windows 64bit

thx

On Windows 7:

I looked at the crash log file and is says the 'culprit' is python25.dll (which is installed along with Nuke 6.03)

The exact same version of python25.dll is installed with Nuke 5.2v2, which does not crash.

crashing for me as well.

i'll have a look over the weekend.

I traced the problem to the .setKey() method on the AnimationCurve object. According to documentation, the method has not changed,

but as soon as the camera import script tries to execute it, Nuke crashes. Same happens when I run it manually from the Script Editor.

So I think it's a bug in Nuke 6.03. I'll contact The Foundry, let's see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Got an email from The Foundry that they'll look at this ussue.

Also, orcavfx.com is going down in 2 weeks.

You can now find the tools on https://sites.google.com/site/freecgtools/

I traced the problem to the .setKey() method on the AnimationCurve object. According to documentation, the method has not changed,

but as soon as the camera import script tries to execute it, Nuke crashes. Same happens when I run it manually from the Script Editor.

So I think it's a bug in Nuke 6.03. I'll contact The Foundry, let's see what they say.

Edited by whalerider

• 2 weeks later...