dripping fluids

Marc

Hi all

Is there an equivalent to the 'cling' parameter in DOPs? I want my fluids to flow down my expertly modeled sphere and pool for a bit before dripping off, not flying off with great abandon like they do now.

Thanks

Marc

So that's a 'no' then? Seems like a basic need for a fluid sim.

I haven't had to solve this problem yet, so I don't know if it can be done with the out-of-the-box solvers. But Starrider makes mention of having implemented parts of this paper, which seems to be a particle-based approach to addressing viscosity and elasticity in fluids... Starrider?

OTOH, maybe there's a "surface tension" button somewhere in the DOP jungle? (going through Jeff Lait's awesome tuts is still in my to-do list :))

Good luck!

Having recently had a go at this. Let me tell you, it was mighty painful!

I had an idea of trying to pass the particles through the POP Solver, and then directly editing their velocities in there based on proximity to the object. While it sounded like a great idea in my head, I simply couldn't get the POP Solver to play nicely...

Definitely let us know if you get a solution! :)

-j

I haven't had to solve this problem yet, so I don't know if it can be done with the out-of-the-box solvers. But Starrider makes mention of having implemented parts of this paper, which seems to be a particle-based approach to addressing viscosity and elasticity in fluids... Starrider?

OTOH, maybe there's a "surface tension" button somewhere in the DOP jungle? (going through Jeff Lait's awesome tuts is still in my to-do list :) )

Good luck!

ah yes, I knew I'd seen something somewhere. I'll definitely take a look at it, thanks. I couldn't find a surface tension button, but that doesn't mean it's not there ;).

Does seem kind of sad that I would have to implement something like that paper myself though. I seem to be getting foiled at every turn when it comes to DOPs.

ah well.

M

Marc I don't see a case in support for this nor for the other frustrations you seem to be having with DOPs.

First off I see either a bug or a limitation. The idea is to use POPs to define a collision surface along with slide and cling but it doesn't seem to be recording any hits. This I suspect is a bug.

The other point is to use an Attribute POP to create a float attribute called "fluid_forcescale". With this variable you can control the amount of "fluidness" your particles have. With fluid_forcesacle set to 1 the POPs impart little effect on the particle fluids. At 0, the particle behaviours take over but don't completely drown out the Particle Fluids (gravity still has a great effect for example).

There are a few more points I can clarify. Please enter a case in to support so we can have a bug submitted and get this to work straight out.

Next time please try support as well as the forums. Preferably first. ;)

-jeff

You're right Jeff... I'm a product of a large studio, I guess :). We were discouraged to send things to support, so old habits die hard.

I'll submit some bug/rfe's now for this.

Thanks for the tips on the fluid_forcescale, I'll give it a try today.

Thanks

Marc

The problem with particle fluids and the external POP Network is collisions are not handled by POPs at all. If you look under the Collisions tab of the POP Network DOP, collisions are all handled by DOPs so putting down a Collision POP has no effect. I certainly hope this limitation/bug can be removed because I would like to use the Cling feature as well. Not to mention the ability to create particle groups based on collision and emitting more fluid particles off those groups.

I'll try to add my voice to support as well.

Cheers!

steven

• 4 weeks later...