SSS - Shader in H11

sanostol

i want to use the new sss shader and need some input on it.

when i turn on fresnel the scatter also changes, maybe this is correct, but somehow it does not look right. textures and eye, just forget them :)

this is the image i get when using micropolygon and no fresnel function. the right image shows the sss channel of the single scattering

micro.jpg

I want to drive the reflectivity with the fresnel mainly.

micro_fresnel.jpg

but as You can see it darkens the scattering channel,too. and maybe it's just me, but it lools strange in the combined image. You see the dark areas at high angles

the other thing is the multiscattering. how does it work. i don't that strong backscattering like in the single one. how does it work?

pbr_singlel_multi_sss.jpg

the documentation said that only use multi if You need it, so I thought multi is timeconsuming, but when I use pbr instead of mircropolygon, multi is much faster than single scattering.

pbr_fresnel.jpg

single combined with pbr takes "years" to render , multi sss alone is much faster.also single sss with micropolygon is way faster

should i use multi sss alone or should it be used in conjunction with single sss

best regards

PS: the model is the standard zbrush example head

• 2 weeks later...

ok when i raise up the quality of the multiscattering to 10 i get that backscattering effect, and long rendertimes

i guess when the quality is set to 1 it simply can not capture the shape

Hello!

Here is my example. No diffuse, only multiscattering (quality-5), very high attenuation and forward scattering. Rendered with micropoly.

image_4cb895b9b521b.jpg

P.S. I've used model found in example files on odforce

thx martin. creepy torus crew you've got there :lol:

i found another little problem.

in the sss, a wireframe appears, but only with subdivision nodes.

but when i subdivide without node and click the mantra subdiv in the

geometry node everythings fine.

post-4775-12876766507_thumb.jpg

to speed up the sss You can dive into to shader, unlock the surface shader model and jump into the surface shader. there look out for the sss part and dive into the if1 node, now in the physical sss turn on the optimize secondary rays checkboxes for single and multiscattering. it helps a lot to speed up this

martin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i try to rebuild some of the functions of the surface model, especially the subsurface scattering, but I don't understand how it works in pbr mode, the physical sss has no bsdf output. the only thing that is connected is the pbr diffuse

how does this work?

I ran into the same thing when I was trying to deconstruct the mantra surface material. John Coldrick set me straight on the sidefx board: SSS is handled as an emission in all render modes, which means you need to export the color of your Physical SSS node as a parameter named Ce.

• 2 months later...

i think the current shader is very good. you already have kind of 3 layers, for colors/maps. you've got diffuse, scattering and attenuation. but i dont know if you can export extra imageplanes seperating scattering and attenuation.

Edited by theflu

30rpov7.jpg

i've been struggling with houdini SSS for quite some time. the results in this thread are excellent.

if anyone is willing to post, i would love to see some HIP files.

the scattering distance seems to have disappeared with the H11 SSS .

i purchased this lesson:

EAT3D CG PORTRAITS IN MAYA

i've been trying to achieve similar results. the author has kindly provided most meshes (eyes need some custom work) , all maps, and even the base zbrush tools.

the best cgportraits seem to all use a 3layer fastSSS based shader. building the shader has been quite a challenge so far though. lolz

if it can be done in maya / mental ray then it can be done in houdini / mantra ...

the BLENDER guys used this node setup for a 3 layer SSS shader:

http://bensimonds.com/2010/05/31/three-layer-sss-in-blender-demystified/

21bvtcp.jpg

Edited by smaugthewyrm