code repository on odforce

I was following this thread and thought if it is possible to create a repository section at Odforce to store third party compiled code for different houdini architectures. I can see two reasons to justify the idea

• keep all code for different tools in one place (perhaps with some links to help pages on wiki)
  • use the repository as a backup if the original source of the code goes offline, or no longer is valid

• Like 1

I don't see the problem with maintenance (at least I'm not aware of any at this point), wiki works in similar way (as a community project), so any odforce user could commit the code (similarly to SESI exchange).

Maybe we could have some sort of poll or rating system to verify if the uploaded stuff really works...

I guess you could hook up a local git repo to the forum userbase. It might generate a lot of extra traffic and use additional space tho.

There is always an issue with maintenance when a lot of people can modify or change common material. Everyone is not too familiar with repos and might end up checking in random stuff instead of checking it out etc.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that I like the idea if it can be solved nicely.

Edited by Erik_JE

Hey

I think this is a great idea, but yeah there are some possible hurdles to overcome. I had an idea a while back to have some sort of 'auto-build' device where code could be compiled for different OS's, but that was a bit of a bigger project :).

Jason tried to get something like this going on sourceforge at one point, but I don't think it got used much. It would be better to host here and have it all integrated, but I'm not sure how. Some sort of github type system would be perfect where anyone could easily fork the code and upload a forked/different version which could be rolled back into the original codebase by the owner at some point?

M

Also imo keeping compiled versions could be done separately. It would be fairly straightforward to code a simple solution where users can set what they have compiled(HOT for example), for which Houdini version, for what architecture, using what compiler and enable them to upload a tar-ball of it. This could then be presented in some fancy fashion.

That way the code repository could be kept code only. It would also make it easy to overview what plug-ins have been compiled for a specific setup.

This is a great idea! That auto-building thing would be super cool too - if err... it worked. Nice thing is that "community patching" idea. Let people make their own attempts easy to integrate into source code. I have a couple of projects ready to patch them :)

Also imo keeping compiled versions could be done separately. It would be fairly straightforward to code a simple solution where users can set what they have compiled(HOT for example), for which Houdini version, for what architecture, using what compiler and enable them to upload a tar-ball of it. This could then be presented in some fancy fashion.

That way the code repository could be kept code only. It would also make it easy to overview what plug-ins have been compiled for a specific setup.

That's exactly what I was after, to collect and present available tools for each architecture and Houdini version in a more systematic way. Collaboration and auto-compile system is way too much imho with the current user base.

I've run into some interesting media-wiki extensions:

- This one generates a list of all upload files to the page:

- Data Tables extension

- Filtering example

...not sure though, if this will be possible in the current version of the wiki.

Edited by kubabuk

That's exactly what I was after, to collect and present available tools for each architecture and Houdini version in a more systematic way. Collaboration and auto-compile system is way too much imho with the current user base.

I've run into some interesting media-wiki extensions:

- This one generates a list of all upload files to the page:

- Data Tables extension

- Filtering example

...not sure though, if this will be possible in the current version of the wiki.

FileList togheter with DataTables could work. I have used DataTables for some webpages and it's pretty good. What I don't like are their included filters which are just search boxes. It would be nice if they automaticlly created Comboboxes for filtering from available results. So usually you end up writing your own filter stuff and i don't know how easy that is togheter with MediaWiki.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems they have added that kind of stuff now. http://datatables.net/examples/api/multi_filter_select.html

Or that i have done lots of extra work for no reason before :D

EDIT2: I wonder about the filelist if you can provide filtering information for the page on what files to generate the list for. Also if you can add more information for each file.

Edited by Erik_JE