Houdini & AMD

IvanPulido

Hi friends, i am interested to buy a new computer to use basically with houdini and render with mantra.

Someone know if houdini works fine under AMD OPTERON 64 cores?

This question is because i used 3dmax and vray running a AMD opteron 64 cores, and vray works very very very slow, and the vray performance is not good, and i would like to know how is the Houdini performance, simulating and rendering under a AMD opteron.

Cheers.

Ivan.

Edited by IvanPulido

No, Ivan 

I would not risk this, i7 or a Dual Socket Xeon E-5 is the way to go. Fastest AMD cpu is like an I5 at its best . If there is a limit for budget get dual socket slow XEONs like E-5 2620 , two of these will give you 18 cores at 2 ghz, now thats slightly faster than your overcloked homebuilt I7 but you can put in a lot of RAM, and you know more ram is always good

Edited by tricecold
  • Like 1

Well I work on a 64 core opteron for a year now and I have to say that it has still the most bang for the buck.

the whole machine with 512GB of ram was for about 3600 Euro .. 

Intel is great, but really expensive with many cores .. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, for all the opinions.

Really i have the oportunity to buy this machine less than 1500e, so that is the reason why i am trying to find some info about houdini under amd opteron.

Hey Martin, nice workstation!! what amd processors series do you have?

Could you upload some render times, simulating a simple wave tank by default to see the differences?

64 core with 512gb of ram for 3600 euros ???
how where? also can you do a performance comparison vs a say 4-6-8 core intel?
cause singlethreaded performance is much lower and lots of Houdini is still single threaded.

Edited by freaq