I need critics and opinions on my showreel

Federico

1.) You open up with the beach scene which looks kind of like a preset. I have seen that same exact setup before in other video on Vimeo. Try to make it more your own by changing the shape (not rectangular) or get in closer and do some camera work.

2.) I like the cracked wall a lot, I think it it the best and would place it first in the reel.

3.) The lego water stuff is eh...I am not seeing anything amazing there.

4.) The tank really caught my eye but the scale is wrong. Also the tank it moving a bit fast, make it lumber a bit more to indicate it might be having a little bit of difficulty traveling the terrain. Not just a linear motion path. Put this effect second in your reel.

5.) The floating island game stuff is Ok but the camera is kind of far away from all objects. Is this Houdini Engine based? If so claim that.

6.) The lava scene could use some better lighting or other materials beside purple on all the objects. Also think about adding some burn marks to the flow area to hint that this kind of laval flow has happened before. Those gold diamonds look too clean for hanging out around lava.

Keep up the work it looks good!

Edited by Atom

Thank you Fencer and also thank you for your suggestions Atom.

If it's possible i wanted to ask you some question. When are you saying that the scale it's off are you talking about the tank or the explosion? And talking about the explosion didn't look unreal? Also i'm concerned about the Houdini Engine thing, i wrote in the left corner things like "flip fluid" , "pyro" etc aren't those terms used only in the Houdini's modules?

As for the tank, I think the explosion looks good. Because we are so far away the tank should be moving a bit slower and dealing with the terrain dips and valleys a bit more (even if we can't see the dips in the terrain) It is the size of the tank tracks that is throwing off the scale for me. I know you matched them to the tank perhaps scale the entire rig down a bit. Or simply fade the tracks back a bit so they don't stand out so much. I like the stop-turret-fire sequence. Once again, it would be nice to be a bit closer at that point. Even a jump cut could work there. It is the action of the story where as leaving the camera in one place keeps the shot more of an establishing shot. But there really are two shots in this tank story.  

Edited by Atom

Looks nice so far, but in general I would try to make the visual quality more consistent. In this case I mainly mean the background objects, not the FX itself.

Especially with with the floating island, I would retouch the airship, it looks of a significantly different quality than the rest of the scene.

The background for the dwarven hall also seems very diffuse and clean like Atom mentioned.

as for Houdini engine, its just Houdini, but running inside another process, with some (H)API on top.

That way you could for instance load .otl files inside Unity,Maya or Unreal.