Flip simulation + breakdown. Ocean

cudarsjanis

Hi, 

Well done,

Could you tell us some things about the workflow you did use for that? For me I still stick to SOPs and didnt´t get in contact a lot with DOPs but I´m curious though.

I saw in the Breakdowns that there is some (maybe displacement) layer on top of the fluid sim but only on the outer part of the simulated mesh. Is that right?

I´m asking you because recently I asked myself about how the workflow would look like if I want to blend my simulated mesh of a small part of an ocean with the rest of a non simulated ocean. At least I think that the extended Ocean in the background of your shot is a non simulated mesh? But it blends nicely with the simulated water. Did you blend this in compositing?

kind regards

Jon

post-12840-0-28245500-1456990993_thumb.j

Hi, 

Well done,

Could you tell us some things about the workflow you did use for that? For me I still stick to SOPs and didnt´t get in contact a lot with DOPs but I´m curious though.

I saw in the Breakdowns that there is some (maybe displacement) layer on top of the fluid sim but only on the outer part of the simulated mesh. Is that right?

I´m asking you because recently I asked myself about how the workflow would look like if I want to blend my simulated mesh of a small part of an ocean with the rest of a non simulated ocean. At least I think that the extended Ocean in the background of your shot is a non simulated mesh? But it blends nicely with the simulated water. Did you blend this in compositing?

kind regards

Jon

I did a bit of both. ocean behind is just ocean displacement applied to a grid.

As this was my first project, I probably am using some wrong techniques.

I think the best way to achieve this is to group particles either by bounding object or velocity. and then you can merge particles that make that splash with particles with ocean displacement applied, and only then run VDB from particle fluid, and mesh them.

Here I set up quick project how I think this is working. Of course waves are not so rough as they would be if you applied displacement straight to the mesh. but you can blend both in comp.

As I said, I`m quite new to houdini so I`m not saying this is the right way to do it!

This is just something I came up with, combining some advises from oforce users and some tutorials.

Splash.jpg

Splash2.jpg

I could upload the project file If knew how to add files, when commenting. Somehow I see that only when I`m starting new topic.
Edited by cudarsjanis