DASD

How can you connect Sublime Text with the Wrangle SOP

I am looking into installing VEX syntax and Exhelp for Sublime text and that is easy and nice, but I realized I don't know of a good way to actually connect Sublime text to Houdini. Copy pasteing the code between Sublime text and Houdini everytime I want to test something seems like a pain.
It would be so inconvinient that I wonder whether Sublime Text would be worth the effort.
So how do you use it? Is there a way to hook Houdini and Sublime Text up to each other for a direct connection?

EDITOR = "C:/Program Files/Sublime Text 3/sublime_text.exe"

Add to your houdini.env file something like that. In any input field in Houdini, press Alt + E. It will bring up Houdini native text editor. Press again, and it will open text in $EDITOR program, and wait until you close the program. After that, it will load any saved changes back to Houdini. Afaik, there is no way to bypass native editor.

• Like 3

Thanks symek ! That syntax seems to be more up to date.

Thank you f1480187 ! I also found that out that the preferences of Sublime text can be tweaked  with:

"hot_exit": false,
"remember_open_files": false,

so that sublime does not save the tabs from the previous session. Now the only thing left to do is to find a way to bypass the Houdini Editor. Anybody know how to get that fixed? :lol:

Edited by DASD

Im having problem with sublime 3 and ubuntu (openbox) to get any connection between them. I get sublime to open on alt+E with a .tmp.vfl file but its always empty and nothing happens on save+close either. I noticed that houdinis gui doesnt freeze either like it should do when opening external editor until its closed.

I got this to work without any hassle on win10 so maybe i need to do something spelcial on ubuntu?

I found out how. For anyone with the same problems with ubuntu and sublime text 3 you just need to write this in your houdini.env:

VISUAL="subl -w"

It didnt work without the -w flag

Edited by Magnus Pettersson
  • Like 1

I have my ENV file set up for Sublime Text and all works as it should but I was wondering if there was a way to go straight to the external editor without first opening up Houdini's internal text editor first.

It seems like there's a dependency between the two but it's always nice to save a click or two where possible. :)

EDIT: I'm using Windows 10

Edited by jonmoore