Modeling poly by poly

eidolon

Hi. What is the best way to model something by building individual polygons in Houdini? I'm experimenting with the Add SOP and can create polgons with it but am having a hard time adding a poly to an existing poly. The documents mention specifying an input. How do I do that exactly?

I haven't used Lightwave but here's what I'd like to do:

I have a top orthographic projection image reference that I've drawn a mesh on using photoshop. I've placed the image into the viewport background and I'd like to trace out the polygons. I'm not sure if this makes sense but basically it's like you click four times to make one four sided polygon then begin another polygon operation so that the new one shares the same edge as the previous one.

I haven't used Lightwave but here's what I'd like to do:

I have a top orthographic projection image reference that I've drawn a mesh on using photoshop. I've placed the image into the viewport background and I'd like to trace out the polygons. I'm not sure if this makes sense but basically it's like you click four times to make one four sided polygon then begin another polygon operation so that the new one shares the same edge as the previous one.

That's the thing I was talking about. It's one of LightWave Modeler's superb features. (Where most LW'ers reffer to).

Good news. You can do this in Houdini aswell! (Not totally via the same approach, which is no big deal though).

You could, Instead of drawing the vertices and then building the polygons, draw polygons with (closed) polygon curves with snapping on. Later, when you modeled a part, you can fuse all the vertices (or selections of parts) and fuse ("weld/merge") the vertices together within a certain radius. I find this method, frankly, pretty effective!

Since this is Houdini we are speaking of, there are definately also other ways in doing this.

Thanks guys, the combination of creating polys, extruding edges and fusing is working out great.

The trace sop looks really interesting. Haven't quite figured it out yet but will keep playing.

One other quick newbie question if you dont mind :)

If I'm working on half a model is it possible to "lock" the points along the YZ axis so that when I'm doing edits with soft radius I won't affect those points? Or is there a quick way of lining them back up in case they do get shifted? Right now I'm snapping individual points and was wondering if there was a better way. Thanks!