Ambient Occlusion for a Closed Environment?

Hello everyone,

Anyone has any idea that what is the best way to get AO from a closed space that lights can't pass trough?

Imagine a room without any windows. If I put a light inside the room the result will be shadows instead of AO. And If I put an ENV light, it will be black unless I un-check the casting shadows which it makes everything white.

Thanks

You could use Occlusion VOP in your surface material. Remember to change max distance from -1 to something close to an interior size (otherwise every ray hit will be treated as an occlusion == black render). Also Background color has to be set to 2.0.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, symek said:

You could use Occlusion VOP in your surface material. Remember to change max distance from -1 to something close to an interior size (otherwise every ray hit will be treated as an occlusion == black render). Also Background color has to be set to 2.0.

I am pretty new in Houdini.

Where do I have to connect the Occlusion VOP to? and also how do I get it out in my passes? any special setting do I have change in my render settings?

2 hours ago, 6ril said:

the answer to all those questions would be writing a part of the software doc !

I suggest you start with the basics, tuts on sidefx etc...

the question might be basic but I can't spend like months to read all the docs now to find the answer. My scene is ready to render so I thought maybe there is an easy and quick method to do it, specially because the situation in my scene is something unusual as the space is a closed space.

I am learning Houdini, and asking a question here doesn't mean I don't google things or I don't look at the Houdini docs.

Thanks anyway

didn't know you got a scene ready, and re-reading myself now, I sound a little harsh, sorry about that.

are you comfortable with mantra shader building/modifying ? render aovs ?

Can't really help you now, and I haven't used mantra for like a year now, but I'm sure someone will help you, implementing AO shouldn't be a big pb.

5 hours ago, 6ril said:

didn't know you got a scene ready, and re-reading myself now, I sound a little harsh, sorry about that.

are you comfortable with mantra shader building/modifying ? render aovs ?

Can't really help you now, and I haven't used mantra for like a year now, but I'm sure someone will help you, implementing AO shouldn't be a big pb.

no problem man, I totally understand you and I know that my question is something that soppose to be simple. but I just can't get it right!

I am ok to modify the shaders but not like a pro, cuz I came from 3ds max and Maya background.

I can get the AO right for any objects. but when I have the objects inside another objects, everything will be black.

3 hours ago, f1480187 said:

In Houdini 16 set material flag on the Occlusion node placed inside /mat context and use it as the material. To make the same in SHOPs, drop Material Shader Builder and connect Occlusion to Cf.

occlusion.hipnc

Thank you for your help, I don't have access to Houdini 16 and I am working with houdini 15.5. I have opened your file and it is not giving me the AO.

I have actually tried this way and couldn't get an AO from it. I have tried many methods from yesterday and non of them works for me. specially when I have an objects inside a closed object. (I know your example is like that also but it doesn't work for me :| )

@soroush it does work, but I guess since it comes from H16, you loose the material tab on the box object. So get inside box1, add a material node at the end, and select the /shop/vopmaterial1. Don't forget to put the display flag on that new node ;)

that's it, just hit render and see the occlusion, you can then play with the param of the occlusion node in Shop

max ray distance : the spreading of the occlusion

background color : intensity of the "light"

2 hours ago, 6ril said:

@soroush it does work, but I guess since it comes from H16, you loose the material tab on the box object. So get inside box1, add a material node at the end, and select the /shop/vopmaterial1. Don't forget to put the display flag on that new node ;)

that's it, just hit render and see the occlusion, you can then play with the param of the occlusion node in Shop

It is working now! I do remember I have tried it before and was not working!

I have created a new scene with a new shader yesterday, same as what you did and was nor working!

gonna try it in my scene now. Thanks a lot Cyril!

1 hour ago, anim said:

what do you mean? Diffuse shader and env light, then tweak the distance to be small enough, that should work

I am not sure, cuz when I tried with ENV light it does give me a black result because it is a closed environment,  so there is not any place for the ENV light to pass trough my space.

2 hours ago, anim said:

you are misunderstanding what Env Light in AO Mode does, just try what I said, or just look at this file

AO_light_inside.hip

OH! I got it now!

I think the problem that I was keep getting black result was that the number of Max RA Distance was too high by defult.

Thanks Man! That is working now!

Cyril Method works also!

6 hours ago, 6ril said:

I know it is stupid! the problem that I was always getting the black result was that I didn't change the background color and it was always Black so it was not generating any lights!

Thanks man. Everything works great now!