Hey guys,

I don't have a lot of experience in SHOPs yet so I'd like to see if someone could give me some ideas for this.

I'm developing a procedural eye and I'm able to do it's veins procedurally on SOPs but I guess it would be much more useful if I could achieve something in the shader, maybe using some kind of noise. I don't know.

I'm kinda stucked in the beggining so I just need any kind of ideas :)

here's a good reference (I like the thickness variation)

red-vines.png

The first thing that came to mind was an L-system 2D plant projected on to a sphere. Depends on if you need actual geometry. You can vary the thickness by routing the lsystem iteration value to the width of a polywire.

Untitled-1.jpg

ap_lsys_veins.hiplc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Atom said:

The first thing that came to mind

2 hours ago, ParticleSkull said:

I'm able to do it's veins procedurally on SOPs but I guess it would be much more useful if I could achieve something in the shader

;)

Awesome, Thx!

Konstantin, thank you man. I don't have Houdini in front of me but I can't wait to check it out

Atom, thx but like 
Konstantin pointed, I could do it using that setup from Ben Watts / Entagma to connect points, it works really awesomely but it's really expensive both to animation / simulation and render time.

Alright, i'm on Houdini now

@konstantin magnus, it looks awesome, very promising!

You did it in vops. Do you think it's possible to use the same setup in a shop context? Because my eye's mesh is not very dense.

I'll try the idea in shops right now but, as I said, i have huge lack knowledge in shops so I'm not sure if I can make it.

On 25.5.2017 at 8:45 PM, ParticleSkull said:

Do you think it's possible to use the same setup in a shop context?

For transferring this to /mat or /shop context you just have to replace pos by UV coords or relbbox, adjust the frequency and apply a PBR shader (see attachment).

veins_mat.hipnc

• Like 2