another exporting particles grains question

hey guys so this one is thumping my head :(

i have a popnet with some grains... its working well.

now i want to simply cache out this simulation to disk, then bring it to another hou file.  But what is the best way to go about that?  I'm just lost here.

i can cache it out a .bgeo sequence and then fetch it in with file read node into a blank hou scene but the grains have lost their spherical look and the ramp colour too ?

I cant for the life of me suss out how to plug this into a new popnet scene :(

anyone with any advice much appreciated losing my head here :(

ant

attached a quick few frames of the simulation and my crappy scene setup

@Farmfield @mestela @ParticleSkull @Atom  hey chaps any chance you could help me with this please?  I just want to be able to bring my particle cache back in and apply the grain 'look' to them via the popnet ready for rendering at another friends computer.

sand_sim_scene.zip

hi Atom no worries

so use the copy sop to put spheres onto the grains

is there no way to plug this back into a houdini network so i can render them as sprites as mantra normally would ?  Or is mantra just rendering spheres anyway at render time?

I'm just curious because this sim scene i've shared is low resolution you see - i need to really upres the grain count so there'd be millions of spheres :/

hmmm i have a feeling it may be because somehow i've managed to bork the shader for the grains when i create a sprite shader the default texture file is smokepuff.rat instead of sphere_matte.pic - i dont know how to revert this back in the default settings though - i tried to reset default parameters for the shader but it crashes houdini every time. this could be why my grains are coming in as black squares :(

Try turning off Material display in the 3D viewport. Or switch to wireframe view. Houdini may be crashing because the viewport was linked to a texture map that you removed. By delaying the viewport update you might be able to avoid the crash.

To get back the default setting just make a default grain setup in a new scene and copy whatever nodes you need to reset and paste them into your existing scene.

• Thanks 1

If I switch to wireframe view the colour attribute of my particle cache is there sure enough so that's something. I don't know what I've done to bork houdini here it's a bit weird as a newly created default pop sprite points to smokepuff.rat instead of sphere_matte.pic and I can't seem for revert it. Looks like it's re install time.

8 hours ago, anthonymcgrath said:

If I switch to wireframe view the colour attribute of my particle cache is there sure enough so that's something. I don't know what I've done to bork houdini here it's a bit weird as a newly created default pop sprite points to smokepuff.rat instead of sphere_matte.pic and I can't seem for revert it. Looks like it's re install time.

The default sprite is the puff - the shelf tool inserts the grain sprite - a bolded parameter means non-default.