jhorikawa

Parametric and Procedural Design with Houdini (Houdini Tutorial FB page)

I've recently started using Houdini coming from a Grasshopper/Rhinoceros + Architectural background and quickly I realized it's such a great tool for parametric & procedural design for modeling some geometrical shapes which sometimes GH is not good at. I'm planning to post tutorials for Houdini to following Facebook page and Youtube channel as my note how to make geometries I'm interested in.

[Facebook Page]

https://www.facebook.com/ParametricProceduralHoudini/

[Youtube Playlist (Fast ver.)]

[Youtube Playlist (Slow ver.)]

21055047_1530833610316032_1916495222918422278_o.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Exact same thing here, after four solid years of trying to turn Grasshopper into my geometry engine, I learned Python and suddenly realized that I had become a generalist and that Grasshopper and its forum were limiting me when I wanted access to serious algorithms but they were all in animation software, not Rhino!

• Like 2

I've uploaded a video to show a tip how to convert curved edge of voronoi fractures to straight line using VEX. 

the voronoi frac gives you inside/outside groups so just stick in a delete, click dropdown list, pick inside ? can't be simpler than that...

5 hours ago, Noobini said:

the voronoi frac gives you inside/outside groups so just stick in a delete, click dropdown list, pick inside ? can't be simpler than that...

Yeah but I wanted to have a straight line for voronoi cell on the mesh surface. If there's any simple way to achieve it I'm happy to hear it.

yeah the part where you use neighbourcount is fine, just the part where you want to delete the 'inside' of the sphere...seems overly complicated when as said, just use logic above ?

8 hours ago, Noobini said:

here, i'm using 1 sphere...yes very simple...but it's just a proof of concept...

straightvoronoi.hipnc

thanx! I'll look at it.

edit: just looked at the file, simple + awesome! I learnt new stuff thank you!

Edited by jhorikawa

it's nothing really...I know you said you're relatively new to Houdini...so it's simply coz you hadn't come across inside/outside of voronoi that comes for free...then taking advantage of it...that's all.

But your experience in applying grasshopper to Houdini is great tho...like me trying to do stuff in houdini that I did with Max MCG...just cross polination...main principles still the same...keep up with the tutorials :)

ps: I'm a non-coder so with me you'd see more nodes and less codes...

Edited by Noobini
  • Thanks 1

I've uploaded a video to show how you can create a 3d printable zoetrope using Houdini. It would be fun to actually print it and have the physical model.

I've uploaded a video to show how you can use Houdini's volume to create a custom voronoi partition based on custom Manhattan distance algorithm.

• Like 1